Babysitting Boilover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
Just an update on my new brew buddy, as you guy's told me babysitting and brewing = boilovers!! Just lost 1/2 gal of 90 shilling scottish ale to a diper change. All good in the hood though jack thought it was funny watching dad scramble outside to aid in the mishap. First born = first boilover!:tank: Cheers to all

Id call it a fair trade, just be glad the diaper didnt boil over.... that would a serious diasaster. Do boilovers have consequences, had one on my first brew...still fermenting.

Consequences of boil overs:

1. A big sticky mess to clean up
2. A slightly lower SG reading

You should be alright.

- magno

Consequence is less beer for me to drink an more time cleaning my stove! In the long run its passing on brewing knowledge to our kids.

A good way to avoid this in the future is to work you brew schedule around your childcare responsibilities.
I try to put the kiddies down for a nap at the tail end of the mash, or while I'm lautering. This almost guarantees (Depending on how long they sleep) at least 60-90 minutes of un-interrupted boiling. They may wake up while you are cooling the wort, which is better then smack dab in the middle of a boil :) Having small children in the brewlab is tricky, but like doing any cooking if you can get them engaged alongside you in the brewing process they are more apt to maintain interest.
If my older child isn't napping, she really loves helping out with the hops additions.

SWMBO requested that I change a diaper during the middle of the boil. I talked my way out of it by asking if she really wanted to risk drinking beer that had been potentially contaminated by baby poop (not that I wouldn't wash my hands like, eight times, but still... it worked).

Incidentally, my sixteen-month old has been doing one of the cutest. things. ever (in my, ahem, humble opinion). She doesn't usually complain when she needs a change, she just calmly looks for a diaper or her wipes or something like that and brings them over to us. Every freakin' time she's done that, she's needed a change. Amazing how quickly they grow up...

I cant wait until I can tell him to go the LHBS and get the Ingredients,let me stay home and drink more Home Brew. B dubble e dubble R U N.

Wow, I'd say you are lucky that you are brewing outside. I still do mine in the SWMBO's kitchen. If that happened, I'd be a dead man. Or at the very least, my brewing days would be though. Which is just as bad, if not worse. :)

Back