Baby on the way, want to make a beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc318

Reaction score
My wife and I are expecting our first child in November. I would like to brew a beer in celebration that will be ready to drink when we bring her home. I want to make an American red ale. I really want to use mosaic and citra hops, but I need some help with the grain bill.

How do I get a nice, red colored beer without it tasting too much like roast or crystal malts? Any sample grain bills would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

I'd also brew a batch of Barley Wine (decently high OG) and have one bottle every year. I've got 1 left from '07 (his birth year) I'm gonna give to our son when I feel the time is right and a bunch from '11 for our other son.

and I'd go with the Carared as well.

Would you all please critique this? Looking for a malty lager type beer here.

10# german pilsner, 1# carared, 0.5# melanodin, 0.25# choc wheat, 0.25# pale chocolate.
Projected SRM is 17.44 according to my app with 6gal ending volume and 70% eff.

Thoughts?

Any thoughts on the above recipe. Looking for a red, malty beer. Not trying to get caramel or roast.

Back