B Brite screwup? HOT Water rinsing question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leoglenwood

Reaction score
Admission #1
I sanitized and bottled with B Brite, instead of One Step.
EGADS!

I rinsed the B Brite out with wicked hot water, but I wondered if
B Brite is also a sanitizer?

Question #2

Because One Step and other sanitizers make my hands feel slick, I usually do a quick hot water rinse minutes before bottling; does everyone else not rinse?

Is rinsing undoing sanitizing?

*prepared for the painful truth#

B Brite is not a sanitizer, while One Step is. B Brite is a cleanser and should only be used as such, but yes, B Brite should be washed throughly. FYI, lots of us use Oxy Clean Free... same stuff, but much cheaper and can be had in larger quantities.

You should clean anything that comes into contact with your wort/beer with B Brite, (or whatever cleanser you choose) rinse well and then use a no rinse sanitizer. In the correct dilution, One Step, Iodophor and Star San (to name a few) sanitize in minutes and do not require rinsing. Rinsing sanitized equipment does defeat the purpose of sanitizing, maybe unless you rinsed with water that was boiled.

Don't worry though, as long as the bottles weren't soiled, the beer should be ok. When beer ferments, it obviously creates alcohol and theoretically, the alcohol could stave off infection. Hops also have antiseptic qualities which help keep the nasties down.

Technically One-step can't be called a sanitizer either, and the bag states its a cleanser.
one-step.jpg

One step needs 5 minutes of wet contact time to sanitize...pretty slow compared to 30 seconds that Star-san needs.

mostly they just dind't wanna pay the FDA to get 'sanitizer' status.

Despite its similar appearance (white powder that cleans with oxygenation), B-Brite is not a sanitizer.

Back