B-Brite - Rinse or Don't Rinse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixstring78

Reaction score
So I bought some B-Brite cleaner from the homebrew store. They say it works as a cleaner and as a sanitizer after 30 min contact time. This is all I have to use for now until I can get my hands on some iodophor or Star San.

My question is: Should you rinse out the b-brite solution with water before fermenting or bottling, or can you just dump the stuff out and throw your wort/beer straight in?
Thanks!

You definitely want to rinse when you use B-Brite. I have heard that it would not be devastating if you did not rinse but even those people say you should still rinse after "cleansing" with B-Brite. as far as it being a descent sanitizer as well, that is somewhat a controversial subject by itself so continue at your own risk.

It's been said an all-in-one can't be both a cleaner and sanitizer. So you risk not getting your equipment sanitized when tying to save a few pennies and a few minuets.

Not trying to save a few pennies at all. This is my second batch ever and haven't been able to find a place that carries Star San or iodaphor yet. Will probably have to order it online.
EVERYONE at ever store that I've stopped in at carries B-Brite and says that it sanitizes. Odd that all of the ratailers push it as a sanitizer but online it seems to be a 50/50 debate.

Rinsing can't hurt, but you'll never even think of switching once you use starsan. Oh that beautiful foamy cleanness.

+1 on the starsan. I love the stuff.

I put some mixed solution in a spray bottle too for quick sanitation jobs while im brewing

B-Brite is very similar to oxiclean - I would definitely rinse it and not consider it a sanitizer. It will kill many things just because of the high pH and the strong oxidizing action, but using it followed by an acid sanitizer like StarSan is probably more effective and achieves higher kill rates.

B-Brite is a sanitizer, but a crappy one. For one, it needs to be rinse. That alone makes it not worth my time. Plus, it takes a long time to work. Starsan claims 1:30 to sanitize, but the owner once said on a podcast that the actual time is like 30 seconds, they just have to say 1:30 on the bottle for government regulations.

And StarSan can be mixed with Distilled water and last for months and shot out of a spray bottle. Just spritz on and wait 30 seconds.

But to answer your question, If is doesn't say it's no-rinse sanitizer, then you have to rinse it.

Wow! My B-Brite container makes no mention of contact time so I didn't know it was 30 minutes. I had been using for no more than 5 minutes max. Now I am shocked that I haven't gotten an infection in my first three batches. Well, the container is about empty so this is a good reason to switch.

I wouldnt be so quick to just switch from B-Brite to Starsan. B-Brite has its place in the bag of tricks as well. I either use it or Oxyclean free as a cleanser and Starsan for sanitizing.

Personally, I like to use a cleanser as part of my cleanup procedure so all of my equipment is nice and clean before putting it away and sanitize everything just before brewing, racking, etc.

Homercidal stated 1 minute 30 seconds for StarSan - made no mention of B-Brite contact time. Your container, or a website should guide you in that direction.

StarSan is

1) the bomb
2) a true 'no-rinse' sanitizer
3) officially 1 minute, 30 seconds contact-time to sanitize
(but as stated, 30 seconds will suffice)
4) not a 'cleanser'
5) very strong and acidic before dilution - use with caution.

Back