Azacca Mosaic Pale Recipe - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
I recently had a fantastic IPA (Greenbacks by Other Half) that was based around Azacca and Mosaic. I've been toying with a recipe that I hope will match the flavor at least somewhat and then I can start tinkering with it.

What I'm going for is a medium-bodied beer with a touch of malt complexity but still lets the citrusy/oniony(Azacca, to me)/fruity hops be the star. What do you guys think about the recipe below? I was initially considering not doing 20-minute additions but would that make it lose some of the flavors?

OG: 1.064
IBU: 67.7

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) [83.3%]
1 lbs 4.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) [10.4%]
12.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) [6.2 %]
0.50 oz Azacca [14.86 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Azacca [14.86 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.50 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.50 oz Azacca [14.86 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Azacca [14.86 %] - Boil 0.0 min
0.50 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Azacca [14.86 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Thanks for your thoughts

Just a heads up, a mod will likely come along and move your post to the Recipes/Ingredients board:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Recipe looks awesome to me; I'm more of a Crystal 60 + Carapils guy when I brew IPAs, but I've had Munich + Vienna IPAs before that I really enjoyed, so this looks like a really tasty beer. I've never used Azacca hops before, I wonder if any local breweries use them so I could see what they're all about...

Thanks - probably should have posted there. I just always assumed that's for more "finished" recipes.

To me, Azacca really gives off a citrusy and oniony/funky note to it. Do you have access to Victory Hop Ranch? They use Azacca and Mosaic in that one. I think 2013's batch was much better than 2014, but it was still good.

Sadly, not yet. I had to brew a ton of beer for my wedding and that took up all my time. This is next on the list

Sadly, not yet. I had to brew a ton of beer for my wedding and that took up all my time. This is next on the list

i love both hops, especially mosaic. Should taste like tropical fruit juice. I hate crystal malt in IPAs and have brewed several with a vienna munich combo. However, over time I started to grow tired of the munich and wanted a drier IPA so I dropped the munich and now generally do vienna as the only specialty grain.

Also, I would strongly reccommend dropping the 20 min additions and taking that ounce of hops and your flameout ounce and doing a hop stand with it. (let wort drop to 180F, throw hops in, let stand for 30 mins) once I started doing this my IPAs went through the roof in terms of flavor and aroma.

Finally, don't forget to make sure you have a high sulfate to chloride ratio. This also makes a significant difference.

Thanks for the thoughts amcclai7. I've always been nervous about doing hop stands because of contamination concerns. With my system, I don't have a way to maintain 180 degrees consistently and I get worried about turning off the flame and letting it sit for 30 minutes. Do you keep a flame going under it to maintain the 180 or do you just turn it off at 180, throw the hops in and let it go?

i love both hops, especially mosaic. Should taste like tropical fruit juice. I hate crystal malt in IPAs and have brewed several with a vienna munich combo. However, over time I started to grow tired of the munich and wanted a dried IPA so I dropped the munich and now generally do vienna as the only specialty grain.

Also, I would strongly reccommend dropping the 20 min additions and taking that ounce of hops and your flameout ounce and doing a hop stand with it. (let wort drop to 180F, throw hops in, let stand for 30 mins) once I started doing this my IPAs went through the roof in terms of flavor and aroma.

Finally, don't forget to make sure you have a high sulfate to chloride ratio. This also makes a significant difference.

^^^ this

I have grown to strongly detest crystal malts in IPAs. I used all 2row and 1 lb rye in my last one and it was awesome. Low mash for a real dry and crispy IPA. The beer I'm brewing on Father's Day I think will just be all 2row and a ton of hops.

To answer your 180 degree whirlpool question, what I do, is get it down to about 180 and drop the hops in and just leave it for 20 minutes or so. It will cool off some but it's not really a big deal imo.

Stoneface Brewing out of Newington/Portsmouth NH does a Double IPA called Mozaccalypse featuring this hop combination. It's widely regarded as one of the best Double IPA's in the Northeast.

I think you're onto a winning combination with those hops!

Stoneface Brewing out of Newington/Portsmouth NH does a Double IPA called Mozaccalypse featuring this hop combination. It's widely regarded as one of the best Double IPA's in the Northeast.

I think you're onto a winning combination with those hops!

I actually used to live right there. Went to UNH and lived in Dover for a few years too. If only the beer scene was as good then as it is now!

Thanks for the thoughts amcclai7. I've always been nervous about doing hop stands because of contamination concerns. With my system, I don't have a way to maintain 180 degrees consistently and I get worried about turning off the flame and letting it sit for 30 minutes. Do you keep a flame going under it to maintain the 180 or do you just turn it off at 180, throw the hops in and let it go?

Throw in the hops and let it go. If you cover your pot with a lid it should only drop to 160 or so which is still in the killing zone for beer spoiling bacteria. I have done this many times and never had an infection. Plus its an IPA. With all those hops in there (strong preservative qualities) you're really going to have to try to get an infection.

Back