Ay, ay, a scratch, a scratch; marry, 'tis enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinthompson85

Reaction score
Was going to have a brew day, cleaning my plastic fermenter (fermonster) and noticed a couple scuffs on the inside. You can barely feel them with your finger. Does this mean the unit it trash or just needs to be sure its extra clean. If its toast I don't think the plastic units will get much use out of them. Your thoughts?

Plastics will scratch but a soak in starsan should keep it clean.

Something I learned the hard way was use soft cloths to clean plastic. Anything metal can be cleaned with either soft or hard scrubbers. I think "metal on metal, plastic on plastic" regarding utensils such as spoons, tongs, whatever...

How is it getting scratched on the inside?
You should not be scrubbing the inside or doing anything else that could scratch it.

The scratches increase risk of contamination but don't automatically mean it's trash.

I used the pipe cleaner like brush on it for a second. It was a mistake, I have learned from said mistake.

Back