Avoiding carmelization - Afraid to boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normzone

Reaction score
Again, thanks all. I'm a second time beginner, just getting back into it.

I've made so many batches that taste like molasses that I've ceased boiling my wort and at best now achieve a timid simmer.

As a result I'm not getting much hops utilization. And since my goal is a West Coast IPA (Port Brewing Wipeout, Mongo analogues) you can imagine my frustration.

I'm using an aluminum kettle on an electric stove. I own a custom built stainless kettle (1/8th inch 316 SS) but it weighs a ton and I'm trying to avoid heavy lifting.

It won't fit in my electric stove footprint, and I've carmelized before using it and my Coleman stove I can use outdoors.

I hope I'm not whining, but I don't mind begging for advice. Thanks all - Norman

Are you an extract or all-grain brewer?

In order to combat over-caramelization of the wort, I always do a late extract addition. For instance, if I am using 5lb of DME in a batch, I will put in 2lb at the beginning of boil, and the other 3lb at 45min (15min remaining). This way, I keep my SRM lower than if I had boiled all 5lb for 60 minutes.

Does this help you at all?

I recently started the late extract addition method, but I don't just guess at how much to do when. I build my recipes on hopville so that I can see where my IBUs will come out.

I am assuming that your problem is scorching liquid malt extract.

If so remove the pot from the heat while you stir in the extract. Pour it in slowly while stirring well. Make sure there is none sitting on the bottom of the pot before returning to the heat.

You could also add half at the beginning of the boil and the rest near the end of the boil.

Remember stir very well so that the extract does not fall to the bottom of the pot and scorch.

I am assuming that your problem is scorching liquid malt extract.

If so remove the pot from the heat while you stir in the extract. Pour it in slowly while stirring well. Make sure there is none sitting on the bottom of the pot before returning to the heat.

You could also add half at the beginning of the boil and the rest near the end of the boil.

Remember stir very well so that the extract does not fall to the bottom of the pot and scorch.

+1
When adding extract at the beginning I don't even have my flame on yet since I have just removed the specialty grains bag.

I do partial boils of 2.5-3 gallons with half a 3lb bag of plain DME for hop additions. I add the rest of the DME & all the LME at flame out. The wort is still 180F+,so it's plenty hot enough to pasteurize. Just cover & steep 15 minutes. My version of late extract addition.

With my experience with extracts (3 brews) I have had someone stir the wort while I pour, and I haven't had any issues with adding 15 minutes in (when the instructions say). Make sure it's stirred in before you stop though.

Are you an extract or all-grain brewer?

In order to combat over-caramelization of the wort, I always do a late extract addition. For instance, if I am using 5lb of DME in a batch, I will put in 2lb at the beginning of boil, and the other 3lb at 45min (15min remaining). This way, I keep my SRM lower than if I had boiled all 5lb for 60 minutes.

Does this help you at all?

Not only can you split up the extract and add only a pound or two at the beginning (avoiding mailliard reactions similar to caramelization), you can actually add the bulk of the extract at flame out. That's what I've done, with great results. It means no "cooked extract" taste in the final beer.

If I have a recipe with 2 pounds DME and 4 pounds LME, as an example, I'll put the DME in at the beginning and the LME at flame out. But I would split up any extract the same way- about 1 pound extract per gallon of water in the wort and the rest of the extract at or near flame out. With DME, use a whisk to break up the sticky balls of extract. With either, take the pot off of the flame when adding the extract and stir until dissolved.

I do the split extract as well but I have a couple of questions. On darker brews I'm afraid if I use too much at the end it will turn out lighter than it should so I add probably two thirds preboild and the rest at the end. I never thought of adding the last of the extract at flame out. I'll try that next time out. I have a really light Aussie Light from Northwest that probably would benifit from that. I generally add the late extract at around 10 mins from the end.

[DGibb], I should have mentioned, I am a DME kind of guy, working my way through a 55 lb bag.
[KingKlong], I'll scout that Hopsville tool, thank you.
[kh54s10], doing that, thanks.
[unionrdr], good to know, thanks.
[brewn00b4], thank you.
[Yooper], thank you, it sounds like I'm on the right track.

So no red flags regarding an aluminum kettle and an electric stove? I'll tentatively up the heat a twitch and see what happens.

I hadn't thought of that but it seems like a good idea. Might try it on the next one. By the way, I'm from Manchester, nice to see a Nutmeg state person here.

Yes, formally. It's been cooler here in Central California than back there for you folks. That humidity sucks

Back