Avocado Honey for a BOMM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzerj

Reaction score
Wife brought home 6 lbs. of Avocado honey from a recent trip to San Diego. I asked for it so I got it. I'm interested in making maybe 3 gallons of a BOMM mead or maybe a pomegranate BOMM melomel. But I'm wondering about if anyone has used Avocado honey straight up in a mead. The Mead Newbee Guide on Gotmead says the following about Avocado Honey - Dark and rich and full-bodied, and there is definitely a "family resemblance" to the avocado fruit! A very sensuous honey.

I'm thinking like a 12% ABV mead. Willing to use a portion of it straight up on a 1 gallon batch of a BOMM Avocado Honey mead to see what it tastes like. Yes I know, taste the honey and if you like the taste make mead! But I still like to hear from the forum on this one. Avocado Honey as a varietal. What's the verdict? Anyone have experience with this honey to share? Thanks to all.

I've never tasted it, but this is from the US Honey Board:

"Avocado honey is gathered from California avocado blossoms. Avocado honey is dark in color, with a rich, buttery taste. It is wonderful in dressings and sauces."

Hope that helps. Regards, GF.

Sensuous honey is right. Wife tasted and said it was velvety smooth. Her instant favorite honey. It is dark so it will make a dark mead. But a one gallon batch of a BOMM mead is the plan for tomorrow. We can't wait for this experiment to start. A straight mead to taste the honey. This will be good. Results to follow in a month or so. Photos will be taken.

The interesting thing with the Avocado honey was that it wasn't as sweet as Orange Blossom honey. I had to add nearly 3 lbs. of Avocado Honey to equal the O.G. of 2.5 lbs. of Orange Blossom.

I had a small jar of avocado honey once...loved it! Great, dark, molassesey character...really good in coffee.

Interesting to hear that the pppg is relatively low....

Will be very curious to hear how this one turns out...

I had a small jar of avocado honey once...loved it! Great, dark, molassesey character...really good in coffee.

Interesting to hear that the pppg is relatively low....

Will be very curious to hear how this one turns out...

We are quite interested too. The honey tasted velvety smooth. I wonder if the rich character comes through. The Orange Blossom honey definitely makes a good mead. I'm using that as a basis of comparison. Not sure that is entirely fair. The Avocado mead is bound to have its own character. Because this was made as a BOMM, we will get the results soon.

We are quite interested too. The honey tasted velvety smooth. I wonder if the rich character comes through. The Orange Blossom honey definitely makes a good mead. I'm using that as a basis of comparison. Not sure that is entirely fair. The Avocado mead is bound to have its own character. Because this was made as a BOMM, we will get the results soon.

Resurrecting this thread to ask how the mead with avocado honey worked out. I bought an 80 oz jug (5 pounds) of avocado honey last summer that I've been holding on to. Finally thinking about making something with it. A traditional show mead would obviously highlight the qualities of this varietal but would a melomel or metheglin be a better idea for making the tastiest drink?

It worked out great! The avocado honey isn't as sweet as an Orange Blossom is so you need about 3 lbs. honey per gallon but the final result was worth it. Try it yourself.

Back