Average price for bulk grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester

Reaction score
Since getting back into brewing after taking a couple of years off, I have really started thinking about getting into buying my base malts in bulk. Maybe its due to the economy, but all I think about lately is ways to make my brewing more economical. Bulk grain, waging yeast... Anything and everything I can do. Hahaa

I haven't seen and group buys in my area, but I did speak with the LHBS about buying some grain from him and he charges $38 for a 50lb sack. Is that a decent price?

That's not bad. The best I can do is 47.50 for domestic malt and 65.00 for Maris Otter at my LHBS.

That's not bad at all. Best I can do is around 30 for Canadian 2-row. I'd go with my local shop if 38 was their price.

Wow, good price! Cheapest I can do is 50 $ for 50 lbs of Montana grown barley from the Malteurop plant out of Great Falls from my LHBS in Billings, which I am actually happy to pay, due to the convenience, guidance, and the friendliness of the HBS.

$27.00 for 50 lb Briess brewers malt. Normally $30 but with a homebrew club card you get 10% discount. You have to pick up in Webberville MI.

Thanks for everyone's input!!! Sounds like I am going to be picking up a 50lb sack this week. Just need to get some air tight storage bins.

A 50# pound sack will only last for about 4 brew days so you might want to pick-up 2 at a time. The cheapest I get grain through grain buys is around $29 for a sack of canadian 2-row, but it is 55#.

Back