Autumn amber ale problems HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bribo179

Reaction score
I used an autumn amber ale kit and followed the recipe. I left it in the primary for 7 days (didn't check with hydrometer before transfer ...I know :[ )

I transfered it to a carboy. When I popped the lid of the primary it smelled like beer atleast. it had been in the secondary now since sunday. I just took a reading and it was .015 (pretty high I think).

I tasted the sample and it is fairly sweet and tastes like watered down beer. Not much in the way of hops.

My guess is I racked it to soon

My question is ...is this beer destined for the drain? Will it ferment out with most of the yeast gone? Will the flavor strengthen?

What can I do to save this beer!

I used an autumn amber ale kit and followed the recipe. I left it in the primary for 7 days (didn't check with hydrometer before transfer ...I know :[ )

I transfered it to a carboy. When I popped the lid of the primary it smelled like beer atleast. it had been in the secondary now since sunday. I just took a reading and it was .015 (pretty high I think).

I tasted the sample and it is fairly sweet and tastes like watered down beer. Not much in the way of hops.

My guess is I racked it to soon

My question is ...is this beer destined for the drain? Will it ferment out with most of the yeast gone? Will the flavor strengthen?

What can I do to save this beer!

It sounds ok! At 1.015, that seems like a good FG for that beer. It will taste better once it's carbed up and conditioned! Carbonation provides so much in the way of mouthfeel, it's unbelievable. As far as hoppiness, that might simply be the recipe. Some ambers are highly hopped, some aren't. But once it's carbonated, you may be happily surprised with the results!

Will the beer taste "increase" with more time in the carboy and bottle conditioning?

Yeah it totally will. 2 to 3 weeks bottle conditioning does wonders. 2-3 months (if you can hang onto it that long) does even more.

Latest posts

Back