Autosiphon bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeoldebrewer

Reaction score
I used my autosiphon to transfer a six gallon batch of Coopers ale from primary to a bottling bucket--first time I have used one. I'm a little concerned because the flow of beer in the tubing seemed to contain voids and maybe bubbles. Air could not have been getting in at the intake so I'm wondering if I'm using this gadget with wrong technique?

Shouldn't the flow of beer appear uniformly liquid throughout the tubing?

You probably have 3/8" tubing on it. Ditch that and get some 5/16"

... Or you could put a hose clamp on it, but I'd recommend getting the proper hose.

Those bubbles probably are CO2 that outgasses from the beer as you rack it. Yes, you often do see a smooth, uniform transfer, but any turbulence may lead to some CO2 bubbles (which lead to more turbulence, and more bubbles, and so on). If you want to git rid of bubbles, you can usually do so by pinching the tube a bit firmly (but not too much) just a little above the bubble, but they really aren't anything to worry about.

TL

I can see how using a smaller tubing might help. Where the flow makes transition from the smaller autosiphon output to the larger vinyl tubing seems to be where the flow starts to break up.

While we are on the subject, maybe I could pester the forum with a related question. Is the clear plastic tubing sold at the home improvement stores a food grade plastic? How can you tell?

Its food Grade if it says its food grade on the tube or the box. If it doesn't say then its not.

If the air is near the point where the tube meets the hose its most likely the wrong size hose. I had this problem. I solved it with a sanitized rubber band over the hose just past the end of the racking cane. Trust me at this point its not CO2. You will be having a problem getting the siphon to keep running. Just wrap a good sized rubber ban about 2 inches down on the tubing. push it on the racking tube and roll it on over so its about 3/4 of an inch past the end of the cane. Now when you start the siphon you may have to pinch it at that point but only once. Then it will stay and work like a charm. Mine said on the instructions to use 5/16 ID tubing and heat it in warm water to push it on. My LHBS only has 3/8 ID.

Here is a pic of the 3/8th ID on the cane in use, before I added the rubber band. You can see its not working well. Originally I used 2 wire ties but the rubber band is easier.

9841b74c-d9fe-4d3e-9798-ba58457e9fe7.jpg

Give it a try. Don't forget to practice with water till you get it right.

Back