Automated HLT setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hommel

Reaction score
I recently finished building an automated HLT setup and wanted to share. Full writeup including overview video of it in operation and details on strut based stand, gas and electrical system is here:

http://www.hommelhomebrew.com/1/post/2014/02/automated-hlt.html

overview pic:
1880929_orig.jpg

You may get better output if you connect a low pressure regulator to the gas valve, this has helped me on my system.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394384981.962309.jpg

This is the best photo I could find, look center you'll see a duel stage regulator, the outlet is 1//2" NPT, inlet is 3/8", the POL fitting is a full flow fitting without the safety device.

I'm considering the following

1- single stage low pressure regulator, 3/4" outlet, 1/2" inlet direct plumbed to the gas valve with a high pressure regulator set at 10 psi on the LP tank
2- using high pressure LP under the BK.

And/or perhaps...
Changing the HLT burner to a small 10-12 tip jet burner...my theory is the big Banjo burners are just not well suited for low pressure LP.

I was able to heat 10 gallons of 55deg F water to 150deg F in 20 min, this was using the BK burner, which is low pressure. The BK burner seems to put out better heat....I think the honeywell valve is restricting gas flow to the HLT burner which is why the flame is not as good. The BK has the Same burner, oriface, same length of gas line, LP regulator is connected at the center of my gas manifold, both burners are less than 4" from the bottom of the kettles.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back