automated HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K3vin24

Reaction score
Hey Guys - new here to the forum and pretty new to home brewing. My wife thinks I'm a little too over zealous/excited with my new hobby... might be true :). Anywho, I scored 3 kegs for pretty cheap and I want to turn them into a HERMS system somewhat like what the Black Heart Brewery guys have. However, I'm going to build the control system hopefully a little differently with an industrial style PLC and sensors (like an Allen Bradley PLC with some Rosemount temp transmitters). Might take a while to scrounge up some funds to buy all the parts and pieces, but I've got going on cleaning up the kegs and opening them up - at the very least within the next couple weeks I hope to have the kegs all done up with the bare essentials (valves, false bottom for the MT, HERMS coil, piping connections etc....) Anyways heres some pics of the progress I made this morning. I cut one open and buffed off the black paint and scuffs (it looked similar to the one beside it). I'm not going for museum quality so I think it's looking good - thoughts?

Just an update on the progress I've made. I have all the tops cut open (stainless is a Biatch to cut with a grinder - it took about 30 - 45 mins per keg) and I polished them up all nice with a wire wheel. Might end up going over them with an orbital sander - for some reason it wouldn't take off that red ring on the one. So I guess it's time to go shopping for weldless fittings (valves/sight gauges) - any suggestions as to where is a good shop? (preferably a Canadian dealer - I wish shipping out of the States was a little more reasonable cuz stuff is so much cheaper down there....).

Back