Automated firing system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eigenbrau

Reaction score
So, I'm looking at an automated system similar to the Brutus 10 (direct fire MLT) and automated temperature control on the HLT. It'll be a low pressure propane system (the BG14 will be drilled out for low pressure use) and I think I have all the bugs worked out, but I wanted some feedback from some of the experienced guys.

Below is a rough layout of what I'm looking at. Any critiques/opinions are welcome and encouraged. Ignore the 24VDC line on the left going into the controller, it was a screw-up on my part.

burner8.jpg

I'm pretty certain, but not absolutely positive, that you will need an ignition module in between the Love controller and the gas valve. The module lights the pilot burner first and then when it is properly lit opens the gas valve. I recently built a system almost identical to yours above and I incorporated the ignition module into my design.

I may be confused with what you're saying, but I was planning on this being a constantly-lit gas pilot that I fire up at the beginning of the brew day. The controller will just open the solenoid to pass LP into the burner, which the already lit pilot will ignite.

Sorry for the confusion. I thought that you were going with an automated ignitor as well. I used the ignition module as a safety mechanism so that the solenoid won't open unless the pilot is lit. Pretty much allows me to walk away from the brewery while the water is heating or mash is going. I suppose its not necessary but otherwise you'd have to stay with the rig the entire time.

That being the case, your design looks good. I'm not HVAC professional but if you want someone who is you should contact klaude. He helped me tremendously with my setup and he does this sort of thing for a living.

Oh, Kladue is definitely the man when it comes to this. I used a lot of his recommendations/advice on these forums before I drew this up. Safety-wise, the system uses a thermocouple on the pilot light to provide feedback to the solenoid. If the pilot dies, the solenoid can't/won't open, so it's safe (I use this word lightly with LP gas) to leave alone.

Here's the updated version based off of Lonnie Mac's Brutus 10 plans. Kudos go to him for helping me out. Kladue, your expertise was invaluable in several of the forums as well. If this is all correct, I hope it will be able to help out some others when they start designing their system. Both Honeywells will be wired to a separate burner, but I've only shown one for sake of space. I wasn't sure if the March pumps were grounded and left them unlinked.

brewrig2.jpg

Great looking schematic, a suggestion would be to install SPDT center off switches between Love controllers and gas valves for automatic, off, manual operation. A second suggestion would be to use a 1-1/4-1-1/2" hole saw on the keg skirt and make about 4 holes to vent the hot gasses from the burner

The switches I forgot to throw in (those are a given on the control panel). The hole saw I didn't think of, I'll definitely do that.

Back