Automated Brewing Help. Electric/Propane automated hybrid rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been searching around for a while and I haven't been able to find anything on this subject exactly related to this situation. I apologize if I missed it.

I have been looking at upgrading my current 3 vessel system by automating it to propane or electric when I thought about something. Would it be possible to have a brew stand where the MLT is run off a gas solenoid valve to regulate the temperature while recirculating during the mash, the boil kettle would just be on a non temperature controlled burner because I'm just boiling wort and the HLT is run off one or two 120v elements which would also run to the same diy control panel that the gas solenoid is connected to.

My thought process behind this is because I just recently upgraded my pots and it would be easy to add a electric element with a triclamp housing to replace where the thermometer goes on the HLT as well as it would also eliminate the need to buy more parts and set up a herms coil. I Only have access to 120V power in the space that I am brewing in. It would also maybe cut down on the cost of having to buy another solenoid valve and all of the parts that goes a lot with it (and installation) is this a dumb idea?

I ended up doing pretty close to what you are considering. I used a Honeywell gas valve to control heat on my HLT which has a herms coil in it. I used a simple on/off gas valve for the heat under my boil kettle. For the mash tun I used an igloo cooler and then pump the wort from it back through the herms coil in the HLT then back into the cooler to set or maintain mash temps.

However, I have seen plans for doing exactly what you want to do posted on HBT so it has been done. I just didn't want to spend the extra cash for another burner, honeywell valve, 2362 pid, pilot, etc and mine works fine.

I can supplement the heating of HLT water with a heat stick if I'm in a hurry.

Back