autolysis a myth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnbrewer371

Reaction score
i think it is, just opened a bottle of cider I used 1056 to ferment, I left the cider on the yeast for 3 months before bottling and there is no sign of anything wrong with it, or any off flavors. On top of that the yeast was under additionaly duress considering it was sitting below a cider that measured in at around 12% alcohol, what I am assuming would be considered a toxic environment, correct me where I am wrong gentlemen and discuss....

The actual process of autolysis is not a myth, but it's allegedly much less of a concern these days than it used to be.

I've had it happen once with a cider about 5 years ago. I also fermented with 1056, and it sat on the cake for about 2 months. Tasted like hot melting rubber.

So... Myth? No. Not worth worrying about? Probably.

ok well at least its a taste that is easily identified and not impossible to detect, so basically its one of those effects that you know it when you get it?

Many people can detect it in lower concentration than others, wich lead to the myth theory. You probably need to do more than leave a beer a few weeks on the yeast for it to take that nasty rubber taste though. Bad fermentation temps and pitching already unhealthy yeast are probably a factor.

If you are mindful about correct pitching rates and your timeline, there's no need to worry.

Have you ever had sparkling white wine?

im sure at some point I have had it, why?

How long do you think you would have to leave it on the yeast to actually get an autolysis taste assuming you correctly pitched your yeast, and also controlled your fermentation temperature adequately.

How long do you think you would have to leave it on the yeast to actually get an autolysis taste assuming you correctly pitched your yeast, and also controlled your fermentation temperature adequately.

People on these boards have left properly taken care of beer on the yeast for 6+ months!!. In the 90's, without proper yeast, people would leave it on the yeast for 3 weeks and it would be undrinkable.

Latest posts

Back