Auto siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieWess

Reaction score
I bought an autosiphon and it works great. I've only used it once, to siphon from the bucket into the carboy after pouring the wort into the bucket and into the 1 1/2 gallons of cold water. I do have one concern. When siphoning from the bucket to the carboy I had to leave the lid off of the bucket. Later on when I want to go secondary, I will siphon from the carboy into the bucket, clean and sanitize the carboy and siphon back into the carboy for secondary fermentation. So everytime I have to siphon from the bucket I have to leave the lid off, is this ok?

Eddie

BTW I am getting great info just browsing this forum, thanks to everybody.

You are OK, no need to worry. Just be sure to sanitize the carboy or bucket each time you transfer back and forth (you seem to already know this).

Just remember that people have been brewing for centuries. While sanitizing is important more often than not you'd have to do something bad in order for there to be a problem. Do your best to keep things clean and sanitized and don't fret over the details.

I usually spray sanitize the lid and let it rest on the bucket, as much as the siphon will allow.

Back