auto siphon vs. built in spigot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markiemark

Reaction score
About to bottle, I took a reading with the auto siphon, didn't put the siphon too far down in the bucket, and the beer was nice and clear. I have a good amount of trub on the bottom, near the built in spigot. I then took beer from the spigot to see if trub would come out. It is not as clear and there is fine particles/stuff around the beaker thing, but its not like sludge or anything either. Should I use the auto siphon when racking to bottling bucket? Or will the spigot be ok? thanks a bunch!!

If you have an autosiphon, I'd use it. You can lower it as you go, which will minimize the yeast you pull up into your finished beer.

Learn to use a cane. Auto siphons are short lived junk. Spigots scare me with the possibility of contamination or it leaking or being broken off.

In any case the small amount of trub that you may get really doesn't matter much.

I use an auto siphon to rack out of the fermentor into a clean bottling bucket with a spigot on it and attach a bottling wand to the spigot. Makes life very easy when bottling. Following good sanitation practices will eliminate any danger of contamination. I clean all my gear as soon as I am finished with it and again before use. 18 or 19 batches and zero problems

I Also disagree about autosiphons being junk. I've had the same one for years.

Me too. I've been brewing for many years and still using the same auto siphon I started with. It works great and I love. I don't know why anyone would ever use anything else.

Just bought the 1/2" auto siphon...worked like a champ when I racked to the bottling bucket on Sunday. Will be using it to transfer wort from kettle to primary on Thursday.

I use the spigot, and always have, and never had a problem. Trub line is always below the spigot. I always shoot some sanitizer up into the spigot to avoid any chance of contamination. Works great for me.

Back