Auto-Siphon letting in air

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my auto-siphon must have had a bad seal to the hose and I kept losing my siphon and had to keep pumping the auto-siphon to regain suction/siphon. do you think that my batch is going to be too aerated after this? ruined batch?

Your beer will be fine.

Check for hairline cracks on your autosiphon. I've already been through one, and I see issues developing with my current one as well.

Or get smaller tubing. A lot of people have been getting 3/8" tubing with their autosiphons which is just a bit loose. I use 5/16" and it seals like a champ.

There are also clamps you can use to tighten down your existing tubing. Revvy will probably come along in a minute and post a picture of the clamp he uses.

But yeah, your beer will be fine.

Your beer will be fine, it takes a LOT of O2 to ruin it, I heard someone on basic brewing years ago say that our beer is hardier than most of our bonehead mistakes.

Anyway as to your autosiphon issue with some hoses I found that you need a clamp where the hose and the plastic meet.

I use these.

SNP-10.jpg

Also many times you can pinch the hose just past the end of the racking cane, and burp the air pocket out.

Back