auto siphon cane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS

I like cold beverages
Reaction score
so I broke the cane of the auto siphon trying too hard to pull off a tube from the end. Let that be a lesson to all newer people like me, it will happen if you try and brute force the tube.

Anyway can I just get any similar sized racking cane and use it in the AS or do they have something special going on to work with the larger tube section?

Thanks.

I think just about everyone has broke a racking cane trying to pull the tubing off. The best way to avoid breaking it is to twist the vinyl tubing until it breaks free and don't ever pull on it.

I don't know if you can purchase another racking cane and attach the seal from the broken one. Some how I have my doubts but I'm sure someone will chime in.

to more easily put on/ remove the tube from the cane, run both cane and line under hot water before sticking together/pulling off.

I bottled a batch today and I used 3/8 tubing on my AS gear and bottle filler and it was soooo much easier to attach and remove the tubing from my racking equipment compared to using 5/16 tubing. I also used a loosely tightened 1/4" hose clamp to create a seal and discourage introducing oxygen and I think it worked out a-ok.

Sorry I can't help more about the AS cane :)

hoplobster said:
I bottled a batch today and I used 3/8 tubing on my AS gear and bottle filler and it was soooo much easier to attach and remove the tubing from my racking equipment compared to using 5/16 tubing. I also used a loosely tightened 1/4" hose clamp to create a seal and discourage introducing oxygen and I think it worked out a-ok.

Sorry I can't help more about the AS cane :)

I use 3/8 tubing on mine too, no problems. but a lot of guys on here say 3/8 is too loose for them, and sucks air in, and might slip off.

but i never have an issue, slides on, slides off, no leakis. maybe my LHBS has the hookup on the perfect brand of 3/8 vinyl tubing.

I am not sure I can just clean cut it because it broke on the long stem after the curve and I think there is a long crack down the side.

flyguy's idea intrests me. BeerCanuck, do you use this method? Hoe do you like it.

My LHBS sells spare canes for the auto-syphon. Much cheaper than getting a whole new one. The spare canes break just as easily as the original, but hot water when attaching and detaching the tuping works well.

-a.

The seal is glued/permenantly attached to the end of the cane. At one point I was trying to figure out if I could increase the size of the racking cane and discovered it was probably more work than it was worth.

Back