Authentic small batch product (a way to fight macro craft)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I've been thinking for a while now that the macro craft beer machine needs to be stopped. If the small guys don't band together to fight big beer the macro craft brands will eventually succeed in thoroughly muddying the waters.

My idea is to create something similar to what the Belgian monks have created. The Trappist breweries brand their beer as authentic Trappist product. Small breweries could brand their product by adding a small logo and the wording Authentic small batch product to their labels.

I was also thinking there needs to be a list of brands that are made by Bud/Miller/Coors. The more people that know the better.

The info on who owns who is readily available on the interwebs. Here is a cool map with a lot of the beers. More and more are purchased by the big boys so this map http://vinepair.com/wine-blog/map-actually-makes-your-beer/is incomplete. Are you sure you want to go down this rabbit hole? My go to widely available true craft beers are New Belgium and Sam Adams.

I was also thinking there needs to be a list of brands that are made by Bud/Miller/Coors. The more people that know the better.

Why? What is the issue with "big beer" owning craft brewery (brands) if the quality stays the same? If it drops people will stop drinking that beer and move on to something better.
Breweries being bought by BMC is not really the issue - it is a way for BMC to maintain market share. One brewer sells out for his retirement and another is there to take the mantle of small authentic craft brewery while the "sold out" beer now may get a wider distribution base.
If you really want to fight big beer start looking at how the distribution / retail side is controlled by regulations that are skewed in big beers favour. Concentrate on sorting out a free market for all breweries and you will be doing more for craft than boycotting big beer (as if they loss more market share to craft they'll just buy more craft breweries)

The info on who owns who is readily available on the interwebs. Here is a cool map with a lot of the beers. More and more are purchased by the big boys so this map http://vinepair.com/wine-blog/map-actually-makes-your-beer/is incomplete. Are you sure you want to go down this rabbit hole? My go to widely available true craft beers are New Belgium and Sam Adams.

Thanks for the link, I think maybe I should have posted that last part in its own thread.

Why? What is the issue with "big beer" owning craft brewery (brands) if the quality stays the same? If it drops people will stop drinking that beer and move on to something better.
Breweries being bought by BMC is not really the issue - it is a way for BMC to maintain market share. One brewer sells out for his retirement and another is there to take the mantle of small authentic craft brewery while the "sold out" beer now may get a wider distribution base.
If you really want to fight big beer start looking at how the distribution / retail side is controlled by regulations that are skewed in big beers favour. Concentrate on sorting out a free market for all breweries and you will be doing more for craft than boycotting big beer (as if they loss more market share to craft they'll just buy more craft breweries)

The craft movement to me is all about supporting your local brewery and supporting also your local economy.

It's kind of like having only had McDonald's burgers your entire life and the whole time there was a local burger joint that had been making juicy angus beef burgers right there you just couldn't find the place because there were just so many Golden Arches.

Most of what the local spots offer is 90 - 100% made by BMC, I would rather be able to hit a nearby gas station or restaurant and have a selection of beer made locally rather than a bunch of BMC "craft brands".

I think people should know when they are drinking something like shock top or blue moon that there is more to that style.

I hate to say it but I'm pretty sure big business has bought most of the politicians at this point and this whole InBev SAB conglomerate is a giant business. they controls most of the shelf space and most of the draft space in most of the establishments and that's something I'd like to see change.

If a small brewery could brand them selves as such it would be a way for someone to easily identify a product made by a small independent brewery and if they are easier to identify it could generate more demand and maybe eventually force more retailers to carry small batch brands.

Anyway drink what you like, but if you can support local.

Prost

Back