Authentic IPA?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some interesting flavours were also introduced, like the wood of the barrel

hmmm...wouldn't the "authentic" barrels have been coated with brewers pitch and not pickup any wood flavors?

Honestly, I'll bet 'authentic' IPAs tasted like crap. They spent several months in wood barrels in 100º+ heat, soaking in oxygen from the porous wood and getting sloshed around the entire time.

Honestly, I'll bet 'authentic' IPAs tasted like crap. They spent several months in wood barrels in 100º+ heat, soaking in oxygen from the porous wood and getting sloshed around the entire time.

Agreed, they may have tasted like shiz, but if its the only beer I got, I'll drink the shiz out of it :tank:

Not to mention, the pitch used to line the barrels must have added a, umm, distinctive aroma and flavor to the beer.

Still, making an 'authentic' IPA is on my list of things to try, if I manage to ever find a used barrel that won't bankrupt me.

Interesting information on this in Radical Brewing. Although we pretty much all concur that barrels were lined with pitch, the recipe in radical brewing suggests adding some Brett (which is present in wood) to the beer. I'd like to try it once.

Back