Authentic IPA?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Indeed. I have started building my IPA Ark. Photos to follow.

brewt00l

Reaction score
Some interesting flavours were also introduced, like the wood of the barrel
hmmm...wouldn't the "authentic" barrels have been coated with brewers pitch and not pickup any wood flavors?

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
Honestly, I'll bet 'authentic' IPAs tasted like crap. They spent several months in wood barrels in 100º+ heat, soaking in oxygen from the porous wood and getting sloshed around the entire time.

UnaBonger

Reaction score
Honestly, I'll bet 'authentic' IPAs tasted like crap. They spent several months in wood barrels in 100º+ heat, soaking in oxygen from the porous wood and getting sloshed around the entire time.
Agreed, they may have tasted like shiz, but if its the only beer I got, I'll drink the shiz out of it :tank:

Saccharomyces

Be good to your yeast...
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Not to mention, the pitch used to line the barrels must have added a, umm, distinctive aroma and flavor to the beer.

Still, making an 'authentic' IPA is on my list of things to try, if I manage to ever find a used barrel that won't bankrupt me.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Interesting information on this in Radical Brewing. Although we pretty much all concur that barrels were lined with pitch, the recipe in radical brewing suggests adding some Brett (which is present in wood) to the beer. I'd like to try it once.