Austin!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm spending about 36 hours in Austin this weekend.

It turns out that SXSW will be occurring at the same time, so we may be adjusting some of our plans, but we are hoping to take in at least a couple of beer places.

I'm just riding along, and making no decisions at all as our host will be hauling around 6 of us semi-drunks, but if I can have some input where should I suggest?

It sounds like we are starting at Craft Pride. I'm going to try to get to Meridian Hive Meadery, or otherwise catch up with Saccharomyces (Eric) but aside from the Draught House, I haven't been many places in Austin at all.

What are the 'must try' beers? I've had some offerings by Independence, Live Oak, and others in the past and really liked what Live Oak did. I'm a huge fan of IPAs and APAs, and not sours at all.

Incidentally, my friends (our hosts) hated Jester King but love IPAs and most other beer styles, so that's the palate to please!

I know it's not a beer joint, I have got some deals from them. Might be worth a road trip.

Austin Homebrew Supply
9129 Metric Blvd
Austin, TX 78758
(512) 300-2739
1-800-890-2739 (Toll Free)

Directions
Our store is located on the east side of Metric Blvd between the 183 Access Rd and Rundberg Ln in north central Austin.

From Interstate 35 (heading North): Take the Highway 183 (Research Boulevard) exit North. Go west on 183, and Take the exit toward Ohlen Rd / Payton Gin Rd. Go straight on the 183 Access Rd for 1.4 miles. Take a right on Metric Blvd. Austin Homebrew Supply will be on the right in .2 miles.

From Interstate 35 (heading South): Take the Rundberg Ln exit 241. Go west on Rundberg Ln for 2.2 miles and take a left on Metric Blvd. Austin Homebrew Supply will be on the left in .2 miles.

From Mopac Expressway (either direction): Take the Highway 183 (Research Boulevard) exit South. Take the exit toward Payton Gin Rd / Ohlen Rd. Go straight on the 183 Access Rd. Make a U-turn at Payton Gin Rd. Take a right on Metric Blvd. Austin Homebrew Supply will be on the right in .2 miles.

Have fun,
D

Austin Beerworks and Hops & Grain are both semi new and have been churning out great beers!

I know it's not a beer joint ...
but I'm a big fan of Rudy's BBQ. I haven't been to any of the three Austin locationss, but the original Leon Springs location carries bottles from local Hill Country small breweries.

Try Deep Ellum IPA and Deep Ellum Dream Crusher for your hoppy beers. Both are excellent and brewed in Dallas. You should be able to find them in most good craft beer joints. Community's Mosaic IPA is also outstanding. Also brewed in Dallas. Not sure if they have made it to Austin yet though.

South Austin Brewery but I can't say if they are any good because I haven't drank any of the six pack I bought yet.

fwiw, the company I do most of my work for is in Austin and when I'm down there we always start the evening at North By NorthWest. Pretty much everything they brew is quite good, and the food is pretty good, too...

Cheers!

+1 to Austin Beerworks, Adelbert's & Black Star (great food too).

Pinthouse Pizza is one of my current faves, I think they were voted best brewpub last year. Great rotating guest beers & always great mainstays & seasonals (& they're hop heads).

On the southside, Austin Beer Garden & Brewery is making some pretty great stuff & feature locally sourced food as well. Jeez, with just 36 hours it'll be hard to hit all the great spots but any of the previous suggestions would be great.

Welcome to town!

Black Star Co-op, they were a big inspiration to our own Flying Bike co-op here in Seattle. Austin Homebrew Supply is cool too, My dad used to go there.

@Yooper Where did you end up at? What did you think?

Oh let's see. We went to Pint House pizza where we met a friend from HBT. The next day we took a drive through the hill country a little and went to Twisted X and had beer and BBQ from a food truck.

We stopped at an olive oil orchard and pressing place. Then we went to jester king and Stanley's farmhouse pizza for a beer. Then we found a place called the Last Stand. We were headed to a couple of others but there was a horrific accident (with multi fatalities) and we got stuck in traffic for well over an hour.

So we went back to our friends house and grill for the next three or four hours!

We definitely have a list for places that we want to go to next time. We didn't even scratch the surface.

Yeah there was.
One of the guys I work with lives in Lakewood and saw what was left...

Yes, we were very lucky to just miss it. We had to wait to Margaret to go to the bathroom (again), and were minutes behind the accident. We all sat in the truck in shock, as it could have easily been us. We were coming from Bee Cave, just driving along.

A couple of us saw the bodies, even though we didn't try to look. I was in EMS for a very long time, and will not gawk, but it was gruesome and obvious. It was so sad.

Anyway, after that we skipped NXNW and went back to their house in Austin.

They went on Sunday to finish the 'breweries tour' after we headed home. We are now in central Illinois, and should be back to the UP tomorrow evening. What a long trip! We're happy to be headed home, but it sure is a long trip!

I don't think so. I've just recently started to seriously get back into brewing.

His place is easy to find- it's called Meridian Hive Meadery, and I know he goes to Farmer's Markets on weekends for selling and sampling. Super nice guy. Tell him that Soper and Yooper sent you, and he'll slam the door in your face. Not really, of course! You've got to check out his meads!

Huh, I'll have to check them out. How were their beers?

Glad you had a good time while you were in town!

The beers were pretty good. IPA was good, the saison was good, and I can't remember the others- but all were fine! They had tiny sample glasses (4 ounces) for $2, so you could try them all. They've only been open 4 weekends, so they are definitely new, but it's a nice stop and only 1 mile from Jester King so not out of the way at all.

His place is easy to find- it's called Meridian Hive Meadery, and I know he goes to Farmer's Markets on weekends for selling and sampling. Super nice guy. Tell him that Soper and Yooper sent you, and he'll slam the door in your face. Not really, of course! You've got to check out his meads!
That's awesome. I recently discovered that Meridian Hive's brewery building is within walking distance from the building I work in and I've been meaning to check it out.

The beers were pretty good. IPA was good, the saison was good, and I can't remember the others- but all were fine! They had tiny sample glasses (4 ounces) for $2, so you could try them all. They've only been open 4 weekends, so they are definitely new, but it's a nice stop and only 1 mile from Jester King so not out of the way at all.
Next time I head out to Jester King, I'll have to check them out!

Back