Austin water adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhickman55

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

I'm doing a mini mash wit tomorrow. I've been disappointed to find a common off flavor in my previous beers and have a few questions about water. I've got decent technique (I think) and attention to detail, and right now water is on my suspect list. I live in Austin.

Here is our water report: http://austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Water/WaterQualityReports2012/wqs_4q2012.pdf

Campden tablets, do I add and forget? Does it precipitate and if so must I remove the precipitate?

Should I draw up all my water and change the pH of all of it? Or does the mash pH only matter? What's a good target pH?

If i give up on adjustment, is Distilled or spring water better to buy?

Any other tips on water adjustment?

Thanks,

John

I don't live in Austin but had the same problem. I bought both spring and RO water from the grocery store and have never looked back. I sometimes add gypsum and calcium chloride. I haven't made a bad batch since.

+1 on this... my water is uber hard! After my first batch had an off taste, I've using bottled spring water ever since with way better results!!

I live in Austin too, and I've been using a PUR filter attached to the faucet with great results. I've heard gypsum is a great way to "clean" it up too. I know AHS sells it. I wouldn't personally use distilled. You lose all the beneficial minerals that are actually good for flavor and yeast health.

Back