Austin or Northern brewer for Sierra pale clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugilist

Reaction score
I looked at both sites and both kits look good. Can anyone here recommend which may be better, and if I should substitute different yeast or hops? I will be doing an extract kit. Thanks for any input!:)

I'd just make sure you are using Perle bittering, Cascade aroma, and WLP001 California ale or Wyeast 1056 yeast...

Can you post the ingredients so we can compare them? I agree with sirsloops though that it should definitely include Cascades and the 001/1056 yeast...

old_townie said:
sirsloop's got it right.
I ended up using dry yeast... and my clone came out very boring.

That had nothing to do with your yeast. You're perpetuating false info on dry yeast :(

IDk... depends on the yeast you're talking about. They don't make dry belgian yeast... so if you tried making a belgian wit using Nottinghams you would be like WTF??! BUT, We are talking a standard american ale... Safale US-05 would work too. I've never done a side by side comparison between them so IDK. I've used us05 before and it tasted good. The liquid version may be better?

Should have posted ingredients before, duh! :) here they are:

Austin- Crystal (60L) grain
cascade hops
7lbs liquid malt (pale?)
Yeast- Was going to choose Wyeast California pale smack pack

Northern- 1lb Dingemans Caramel Pils
6lbs gold malt syrup
1 oz. Chinook (60 min)
1 oz. Cascade (1 min)
Wyeast #1056 American Ale Yeast

Thanks again!:mug:

austin.....

or just make your own...

Ingredients:

* 6.6 lb Light Malt Extract
* 1.0 lb Crystal Malt (40-60L)
* 1.0 oz Perle Hops (60 min boil)
* 1.0oz Cascade Hops (15 min)
* 1.25oz Cascade Hops (5 min)
* 1.0 oz Cascade Hops (Optional - Secondary fermenter dry hop)
* Wyeast American Ale Yeast 1056
* 3/4 cup priming suger

I've made three batches from BYO's 150 Best Clone's recipe and they've all turned out great...... The recipe is very similar to the one above.

From http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/recipes_ales.html:

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Recipe supplied by:
Recipe formulation using info provided by the fine folks at Sierra Nevada Brewery.

6.6 lbs Coopers Light Malt Extract
1 lb Coopers Light Dry Malt Extract
1/2 lb 60L Crystal Malt
1/4 lb Carapils Malt
1 tsp Irish Moss
1 oz Perle Leaf Hops (20 min)
1/2 oz Perle Leaf Hops (15 min)
1 oz Cascade leaf Hops (2 min)
1 oz Cascade Leaf Hops (steeped)
1 vial White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001)
Coopers Carbonation Drops (priming)

1. Steep Crystal and Crapils malts in 150-180F brewing water (amount of water determined by the size of your pot) for 15-20 minutes. Then remove.
2. Mix in Coopers LIght Malt Extract, Coopers LIght DME and 1 oz Perle hops. Bring to very light boil.
3. Add 2nd addition of Perle hops and Irish Moss with 15 minutes remaining in boil. Add 1st addition of Cascade hops with 2 minutes remaining in boil. Add last addition of Cascades at end of boil.
4. Cool wort in pot to room temperature. Transfer into fermenter. Aerate well, then top up to 5 gallons if necessary.

Wahoo Wheat said:
I've made three batches from BYO's 150 Best Clone's recipe and they've all turned out great...... The recipe is very similar to the one above.

Where did you find this?

Found this
Author Szamatulski, Tess, 1954-

Title Clone brews : homebrew recipes for 150 commercial beers / Tess and Mark Szamatulski.

Publisher Pownal, Vt. : Storey Books, c1998.

Format Book

Library UCD

We will see when it arrives, can you say photo copy?

sirsloop said:
I'd just make sure you are using Perle bittering, Cascade aroma, and WLP001 California ale or Wyeast 1056 yeast...

Actually I would bitter with Magnums, then do a perle/cascade combo

and lots of 60L maybe even over a lb for 5 gallons

just my .02

Chimone said:
Actually I would bitter with Magnums, then do a perle/cascade combo

and lots of 60L maybe even over a lb for 5 gallons

just my .02

That is what I did. Three gallon boil w/ 3 # DME after steeping and 3# at 10 minutes.

6 # Light DME total
1 # Caramel 60 steeped for 45 minutes @ 170
1oz Magnum @ 60
1oz Perle @ 30
1oz Cascade @ 20
1oz Cascade @ 10
1oz Cascade @ 0

sirsloop said:
They don't make dry belgian yeast... so if you tried making a belgian wit using Nottinghams you would be like WTF??! BUT, We are talking a standard american ale... Safale US-05 would work too.

Yes they do ... Safale T-58 and T-33 are a dry yeast very suitable for a belgian wits and trappists

From the Fermentis website:

Safbrew S-33
A robust ale yeast able to tolerate high alcohol conditions (up to 11.5% v/v). Used to produce a wide range of beer styles including Belgian wheat and Trappist beers. Available in 10g sachets.

Safbrew T-58
Known for its high ester, spicy and peppery flavour profile, able to tolerate high alcohol conditions (up to 11.5% v/v). Available in 10g sachets.

sirsloop said:
IDk... depends on the yeast you're talking about. They don't make dry belgian yeast... so if you tried making a belgian wit using Nottinghams you would be like WTF??! BUT, We are talking a standard american ale... Safale US-05 would work too. I've never done a side by side comparison between them so IDK. I've used us05 before and it tasted good. The liquid version may be better?

Yes they do.
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_77_157_402&products_id=10684

chione said:
I think I have it coming in from UCD along with a ton of other books. They are big into brewing at UCD!!

I am a UCD grad and got into brewing while at UCD. Let's just say as much time was spent perusing brewing books as was studying biochem. There are also some awesome elective classes that you can take all about brewing taught by a guru in the brewing discipline, Charlie Bamforth or something like that.

Jason

chione said:
Where did you find this?

Found this
Author Szamatulski, Tess, 1954-
Title Clone brews : homebrew recipes for 150 commercial beers / Tess and Mark Szamatulski.
Publisher Pownal, Vt. : Storey Books, c1998.
Format Book
Library UCD

We will see when it arrives, can you say photo copy?

I have that book and there is no Sierra Nevada Pale Ale recipe in it. Only Sierra Nevada Celebration ale and Sierra Nevada Porter.

Two things:

1) I've tasted Edwort's recipes from Austin and they're fantastic. Very generous with ingredients.

2) Northern Brewer has jacked hop prices as high as $6.00 an ounce. That borders on gouging and I ain't feeding in to that.

Input has been great guys, was going to do a mix and match of some of the listed recipes and substitutions ya'll recommended.

Only problem is AHS is out of cascade and perle hops, and NB is out of perle :(
Going to be tough with this hop shortage to find some of the most in demand hops. Blasted oil companies and their Ethynol !:(

Pugilist said:
Input has been great guys, was going to do a mix and match of some of the listed recipes and substitutions ya'll recommended.

Only problem is AHS is out of cascade and perle hops, and NB is out of perle :(
Going to be tough with this hop shortage to find some of the most in demand hops. Blasted oil companies and their Ethynol !:(

They have US & German...

http://highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=80

Thanks for the tip! I ordered it all from highg gravity as it was all in stock. I got the following:

6.6lbs Muntons extra light UME
Wyeast 1056
Muntons crystal (60l) 1lb
3oz cascade pellet (using 2.5)
1oz Magnum
1oz Perle US

Hopefully will make a tasty brew!

Back