Austin Homebrew Mini-Mash Kit in Cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolly

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about ordering some AHB mini mash kits. I have a 3 gallon cooler mash tun. I was wondering if I can do a traditional mash/sparge in my cooler with the supplied grains INSTEAD of doing their steeping method. If I do, will this help me get more gravity/flavor /color? Also, will the 3 gallon tun give me the right depth of grain bed with only a few pounds of grain?

Thanks for the help, I'm a noob to the mini mash stuff, but I do have the equipment.

So I'm thinking about ordering some AHB mini mash kits. I have a 3 gallon cooler mash tun. I was wondering if I can do a traditional mash/sparge in my cooler with the supplied grains INSTEAD of doing their steeping method. If I do, will this help me get more gravity/flavor /color? Also, will the 3 gallon tun give me the right depth of grain bed with only a few pounds of grain?

Thanks for the help, I'm a noob to the mini mash stuff, but I do have the equipment.
This link describes exactly what you are looking to do with a 3 gallon cooler.
http://***********/component/resource/article/511-countertop-partial-mashing

I followed it but instead of using a grain bag , I installed a ball valve and braid and batch sparged. I followed this link to build the mash tun and eventually moved to a 10 gallon cooler doing all grain reusing the hardware I bought for the 3 gallon.

Good luck!

Back