Aussie going to baseball game in NYC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyp42

Reaction score
Hi guys, heading to the US and will be in NYC May 5th to 11th before heading to LA, SD, LV and SF.
Wanting to go to Yankee stadium and see a game and they play the Red sox on may 8th, 9th amd 10th. Which game would be ebst to go to and whats the best way to get tickets? Ive been told go to Stub hub on the morning of the game?

Also is the highest level still ok to see the game? Or do we really want to be in level 2?

First MLB game? Sat. May 9th is an afternoon game- that could get wild -must be a Fox game of the week that will be broadcast nationally on TV. That's the game I would want to go to. Never been to Yankee Stadium but have been going to Anaheim Stadium for years and the best overall seats for me is in the upper decks on the third-base side - you can see the entire field and watch the fly balls.

First MLB game? Sat. May 9th is an afternoon game- that could get wild -must be a Fox game of the week that will be broadcast nationally on TV. That's the game I would want to go to. Never been to Yankee Stadium but have been going to Anaheim Stadium for years and the best overall seats for me is in the upper decks on the third-base side - you can see the entire field and watch the fly balls.

So is 424-430 ok on this seating map?

Wheres the best place to buy tickets?

Also. Whats a fly ball??

Unless you're a die hard baseball fan, the games are slow paced and pretty boring. If you insist on going to NYC, there are lots of things to do there. It would probably be more fun to take a tour of the new breweries that have opened in NYC in the last few years and catch the game on TV.
If you can change your plans and come to the US in June, you could go to HOMEBREWCON and go on 3 day beer binge. You can even pare back the drinking and go to seminars and learn new things if you want to. That will be in Nashville, Tenn.
Everyone has their own ideas for a fun trip, but IMO NYC is a good place to avoid.
:mug:

426.JPG
So is 424-430 ok on this seating map?

Wheres the best place to buy tickets?

Also. Whats a fly ball??
I might be wrong about the start time on Sat - I didn't account for the time zone difference. I would let other people who have been to the stadium speak out but I like these seats. Not sure how strict they are at Yankee Stadium but at Anaheim, you can upgrade and move to unoccupied seats after the 7th inning.

Last edited:
Fly ball= is a ball hit by the batter up in the air.
line drive = a ball hit in the air about chest high
groundball= a ball hit that rolls on the ground
Another thing I do when I go to games is bring a small armband am/FM radio with one earplug and tune in the game

Last edited:
Unless you're a die hard baseball fan, the games are slow paced and pretty boring. If you insist on going to NYC, there are lots of things to do there. It would probably be more fun to take a tour of the new breweries that have opened in NYC in the last few years and catch the game on TV.
If you can change your plans and come to the US in June, you could go to HOMEBREWCON and go on 3 day beer binge. You can even pare back the drinking and go to seminars and learn new things if you want to. That will be in Nashville, Tenn.
Everyone has their own ideas for a fun trip, but IMO NYC is a good place to avoid.
The guy's from Australia where they also play baseball not to mention the even longer cricket [emoji3] He can get great beer in NY and enjoy baseball. He should go to Homebrew Con where I will happily discuss baseball with him and you [emoji38]

Hi guys, heading to the US and will be in NYC May 5th to 11th before heading to LA, SD, LV and SF.
Wanting to go to Yankee stadium and see a game and they play the Red sox on may 8th, 9th amd 10th. Which game would be ebst to go to and whats the best way to get tickets? Ive been told go to Stub hub on the morning of the game? I saw some great baseball and a few players that shortly after made the big show.

Also is the highest level still ok to see the game? Or do we really want to be in level 2?
Is LV Las Vegas?
While I've never been to Yankee stadium or any other major league ballpark I have attended quite a few minor league games in Las Vegas, back when they first got a team. There's not a bad seat in the place.

Is LV Las Vegas?
While I've never been to Yankee stadium or any other major league ballpark I have attended quite a few minor league games in Las Vegas, back when they first got a team. There's not a bad seat in the place.
Yes LV is Las Vegas.

Im not a baseball fan at all but just want to go see a game to enjoy the atmosphere. Its the touristy thing to do. Unfortunately flights are already booked for May so will miss brew con..lol

If the Mets are in town that week, you should look into tickets there. They have a better stadium, better beer selection, a safer area, and the tickets should be cheaper (since they're the Mets, not the Yankees). Although Yankees/Red Sox should be lively, even if both teams aren't at the top of their game. It's a huge rivalry.

As for seats, I would encourage you to spend a lot of the game just walking around the stadium and seeing it from different viewpoints. You can't get down into the lower seats, but you can typically walk along the concourses no matter what tickets you have. Grab a $20 beer, walk around the stadium, and enjoy the ambiance. Most new stadiums have a lot to do, besides just sitting and watching the game.

Im not a baseball fan at all but just want to go see a game to enjoy the atmosphere. Its the touristy thing to do. Unfortunately flights are already booked for May so will miss brew con..lol
You're going to have a great time. Hopefully, the game won't be a pitchers duel and there will be a lot of offense.

If the Mets are in town that week, you should look into tickets there. They have a better stadium, better beer selection, a safer area, and the tickets should be cheaper (since they're the Mets, not the Yankees). Although Yankees/Red Sox should be lively, even if both teams aren't at the top of their game. It's a huge rivalry.

As for seats, I would encourage you to spend a lot of the game just walking around the stadium and seeing it from different viewpoints. You can't get down into the lower seats, but you can typically walk along the concourses no matter what tickets you have. Grab a $20 beer, walk around the stadium, and enjoy the ambiance. Most new stadiums have a lot to do, besides just sitting and watching the game.
Sounds a bit Like Marvel Stadium here in Melbourne when we go to watch Aussie Rules football. Its good to walk around and check it all out. The Mets play the Cardinals on Wed 6th May and Thur 7th May. Is the Mets stadium new? So should we go to those games instead?

Dont listen to the naysayers. And don't go to a mets game. If you're going to New York and want to see a baseball game, go to yankee stadium.

Especially against their rival, the red sox. That'll be the best experience you can get.

Anywhere you sit will give you a fine view of the action. The lower you go the better--the players are closer and you have a better perspective on the trajectory of the ball. But there's nothing wrong with the upper deck to save a few bucks.

Have fun!

I always suggest sitting in the bleachers in the new stadium. It’s an awesome experience being part of the roll call with the Bleacher Creatures. just be sure to try to get closer the front, way right, or way left due to the structure in the center that obstructs your view.

Also in the new standout the bleacher seats have access to the stadium so can still walk around and experience that

Is LV Las Vegas?
I may be wrong. It turns out they moved to a new stadium last year.

I always suggest sitting in the bleachers in the new stadium. It’s an awesome experience being part of the roll call with the Bleacher Creatures. just be sure to try to get closer the front, way right, or way left due to the structure in the center that obstructs your view.

Also in the new standout the bleacher seats have access to the stadium so can still walk around and experience that
Where are the bleachers exactly??

So in this seating map sections 202 and 235 are ok to sit in? They are $75 each

What does it mean by

"Also in the new standout the bleacher seats have access to the stadium so can still walk around and experience that"

View attachment 670452
In the original stadium, the bleachers seats were much cheaper but they didn’t actually connect fully to the stadium so you wouldn’t be able to walk around

So what are the chances of them canceling crowds attending the games because of corona virus. The AFL season is about to start here and they are already talking about possibly playing games without any crowds attending. Surely if I brought tickets and that happened they would have to refund?

I think there’s a good chance they’ll be playing without crowds by then. They would refund the ticket, but depending how you bought it, you might not get all of the fees returned. I would compare prices on stubhub and yankees.com before buying. You can certainly wait until just before the game to buy tickets on stubhub. I’d rather sit in 424 versus the bleachers if the prices are similar for someone who doesn’t really know the game.

I saw Essendon vs Collingwood at the MCG a long time ago. I lucked out, seeing two of the most storied teams at the most storied ground. The other fans were great. Some asked me who I was supporting as we were going in. (You root for teams in the US, you definitely do not do that for teams in Australia.) And the people sitting near me in the MCG helped me understand the rules and some of the more confusing plays. As long as you’re not wearing Red Sox or Mets attire, you should meet friendly people at Yankee Stadium.

I think there’s a good chance they’ll be playing without crowds by then. They would refund the ticket, but depending how you bought it, you might not get all of the fees returned. I would compare prices on stubhub and yankees.com before buying. You can certainly wait until just before the game to buy tickets on stubhub. I’d rather sit in 424 versus the bleachers if the prices are similar for someone who doesn’t really know the game.

I saw Essendon vs Collingwood at the MCG a long time ago. I lucked out, seeing two of the most storied teams at the most storied ground. The other fans were great. Some asked me who I was supporting as we were going in. (You root for teams in the US, you definitely do not do that for teams in Australia.) And the people sitting near me in the MCG helped me understand the rules and some of the more confusing plays. As long as you’re not wearing Red Sox or Mets attire, you should meet friendly people at Yankee Stadium.
What's the gypsy situation in NY? I have never been to NY but what I have heard they will pickpocket you naked before you even notice. When Boston plays at Anaheim they seem to be the loudest and vocal fans-not out of control but you definitely know who they want to win and how they feel about the umpire.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a gypsy in NY.

If you’re staying in Manhattan and taking the subway to a yankee game, the train will be packed. I keep money and and a thin wallet in front pants pocket. I wouldn’t wander too far from Yankee stadium. I wouldn’t go into parks or dimly lit places at night. NY is no worse than any other big city.

I hope you get to go to a game. With all the Corona virus thing they are not allowing big crowds. I hope all that is over by May, but I wouldn't bet on it. :eek:

Mate you certainly did luck out, I havent ever seen an Essendon v Collingwood game. Was it the Anzac day clash around 25th April? I think probably 50% of the fans at that game wouldnt follow either team but go for the atmosphere. And the atmosphere at that game would be like the Grand final.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a gypsy in NY.

If you’re staying in Manhattan and taking the subway to a yankee game, the train will be packed. I keep money and and a thin wallet in front pants pocket. I wouldn’t wander too far from Yankee stadium. I wouldn’t go into parks or dimly lit places at night. NY is no worse than any other big city.
So its ok to walk to the game and back to the subway with other fans though?

I hope you get to go to a game. With all the Corona virus thing they are not allowing big crowds. I hope all that is over by May, but I wouldn't bet on it. :eek:
Yeah Im getting more and more worried. Now Trump has closed the border to flights from the UK for 30 days so I hope were not next.

The NBA just suspended their season. So it’s not looking great at the moment.

I’m pretty sure the game I saw was on 5/5/90. and it was a preview of that years Grand Final. I’ll have to see if I still have the ticket stub.

There are police all around the stadium. No worries at all around the stadium and the subway. And the subway is literally across the street.

So its ok to walk to the game and back to the subway with other fans though?
I have gone to dozens of yankee games. I would have absolutely zero safety concerns. I've never even heard of friends or other fans who attended games worrying about safety.

You get off the train or park your car, along with 50,000 other people doing the same thing you are and police everywhere. It's as safe as any other sporting event.

I would buy a ticket asap and just make sure its refundable if the games are cancelled. I'd be shocked if they weren't. If you wait, you might have trouble getting a ticket to a weekend yankees/ red sox game. If you get stuck out of the country you can always resell the ticket on stub hub.

Back