Auction State of Michigan Liquor License

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
In case anyone is interested, I just saw this.

http://www.mnwinc.com/upcoming.html...&group=0&state=&kwd=&zip=&category=0&nojava=0

Up for Auction on Thursday February 28th at 9am:
By order of Court Officer
1 State of Michigan Liquor License
Class C Resort
Specially Designated Merchant
206052-2012SS
20653-2012

The Michigan Liquor Control Commission has verfied this license is transferable anywhere in the state, with local government unit approval.

A good heads-up, jflongo. Resort licenses are comparatively rare.

I'm specifically familiar with owning a Resort Class C.
Here are some points for those that might be considering it ...

A resort license can be a bigger undertaking than a standard Class C, and there are significant differences.
There are requirements specific to a Resort license which require you to provide variously; full service restaurant services open to the public, convention center facilities, certain types of entertainment, Hotel facilities etc.
Furthermore, once established each license is different as to which of those criteria that specific license requires and whether the license allows its requirements to be modified upon transfer ... one would need to call the LCC and ask (or have them pull that License) to tell you what those ancillary requirements are.

Other requirements include the amount of seating your establishment provides depending on the amount of population in the municipality your facility will be located in. There are also Minimum Capital Investment requirements for your intended operation.

The license may or may not have various permits attached so that is another thing one would need to ask ... e.g. Dancing/Entertainment, Sunday Sales, "Food", Outdoor Service etc.

Finally, there are rules about the percentage of your gross revenue that is permissible from the sale of alcoholic beverages ... you may not have more than 50% of revenue from booze.

It would be a tall order to have one's plans together enough to make a stab at that auction ... but for the right person or organization, potentially a good opportunity.

This is past now, if I see another one i'll post it again.

Back