Auber Cube power for DSPR320 only

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deckbrewer

Reaction score
I just got an Auber Cube. I have 50A 240V 4 wire GCFI to my deck where I brew. It would be nice to be able to program and play with the DSPR320 settings without having to go outside to plug it in. I noticed the spec for the controller says it's power input is 90 – 260 VAC. I was wondering if anyone had tried making up a power cable that could feed one leg of the 120V from a regular outlet to power the controller but not plug in the element, and which side of the plug would need the 120V to power it. I don't have a wiring diagram and somewhat hesitant to crack it open given that I just bought it :) Any risk of damaging any components by only powering 1 side? Any comments on the feasibility of the idea would be great.

Thanks!!

I just got an Auber Cube. I have 50A 240V 4 wire GCFI to my deck where I brew. It would be nice to be able to program and play with the DSPR320 settings without having to go outside to plug it in. I noticed the spec for the controller says it's power input is 90 – 260 VAC. I was wondering if anyone had tried making up a power cable that could feed one leg of the 120V from a regular outlet to power the controller but not plug in the element, and which side of the plug would need the 120V to power it. I don't have a wiring diagram and somewhat hesitant to crack it open given that I just bought it :) Any risk of damaging any components by only powering 1 side? Any comments on the feasibility of the idea would be great.

Thanks!!
In order to figure out how to wire the adapter cord, you need to know if the Cube powers the EZBoil with two hots, or one hot and neutral. If two hots, just connect the adapter hot to one of the Cube hots (doesn't mater which one), and the adapter neutral to the other hot. If hot and neutral, than you have to hook the adapter hot to the hot connected to the EZBoil, and neutral to neutral (shouldn't cause damage if you connect the adapter hot to the wrong Cube hot - the EZBoil just won't power up.) You also have to have a temp sensor connected to the Cube, or use the Sensor Simulator that Auber sells.

Which Cube do you have? I have the wiring diagram for the Cube1 but not the Cube2.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
In order to figure out how to wire the adapter cord, you need to know if the Cube powers the EZBoil with two hots, or one hot and neutral. If two hots, just connect the adapter hot to one of the Cube hots (doesn't mater which one), and the adapter neutral to the other hot. If hot and neutral, than you have to hook the adapter hot to the hot connected to the EZBoil, and neutral to neutral (shouldn't cause damage if you connect the adapter hot to the wrong Cube hot - the EZBoil just won't power up.) You also have to have a temp sensor connected to the Cube, or use the Sensor Simulator that Auber sells.

Which Cube do you have? I have the wiring diagram for the Cube1 but not the Cube2.

Thanks for the response. That makes sense. I've got the 2S. Worst case, if no one on the forum has the diagram, I'll crack it open and investigate. Is there any risk to the SSR's or other components by not supplying the full 240V?

There is no risk to any of the components due to under voltage. You could ask Auber for the diagram, since you are a customer.

Edit: Auber has the wiring diagram for the 2S on-line. I'll write up some instructions for the adapter power cord later today.

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you. I guess my google-fu failed me when I searched for it.
I'll take a shot then you can correct me if I'm wrong.

It looks like the diagram shows that the DSPR320 power is fed from the X Black hot leg through the the L1 bus. The neutral is tied to the neutral and ground to ground. I would leave the Y Red unconnected in the L14-30 connector.

If I'm wrong I'll come back and edit this post to correct it and prevent any confusion.

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you. I guess my google-fu failed me when I searched for it.
I'll take a shot then you can correct me if I'm wrong.

It looks like the diagram shows that the DSPR320 power is fed from the X Black hot leg through the the L1 bus. The neutral is tied to the neutral and ground to ground. I would leave the Y Red unconnected in the L14-30 connector.

If I'm wrong I'll come back and edit this post to correct it and prevent any confusion.
You got it right. And the way the Cube2S is wired, everything will work except the element. And, if you connected neutral to W and Y in the adapter cord, the element would even work at reduced (i.e. 1375W @ 120V) power.

Back