attn Portland brewers- need a foolproof technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
I've never been terribly excited, at least on a consistent basis, by the IPA's I've brewed. The bitterness is there for sure, but the flavor and aroma just don't come through like I want. What I am looking for is fellow Portland brewers recipes to try, including water chemistry adjustments. I have a feeling that this could be playing a part in my problems, although technique could also be an issue. I have noticed an improvement since going back to an immersion chiller from a CFC.

From AJ Delange per 5 gallons of H2O - Add 1 tsp gypsum as well as 1 tsp calcium chloride.

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Can You Brew It. - Absolutely perfect IPA, needs 8 weeks for it to really be excellent.

The Evil Twin above works well also, loved that one. Except that your hopping is late additions so it might throw you off a bit on your standard brewing routine if that is what your trying to nail.

I'll try the hop burst technique ala evil twin soon. I've got a Westy-esque clone coming up soon so it will be a few weeks.

Have you tried a hopbursted recipe like jamils evil twin

I've had great results with no water adjustments up the road in Seattle. Is your water super soft like ours?

From AJ Delange per 5 gallons of H2O - Add 1 tsp gypsum as well as 1 tsp calcium chloride.

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Can You Brew It. - Absolutely perfect IPA, needs 8 weeks for it to really be excellent.

The Evil Twin above works well also, loved that one. Except that your hopping is late additions so it might throw you off a bit on your standard brewing routine if that is what your trying to nail.[/QUOTE

PDX water is very soft..softer than the Sea-Tac area so I +1 the idea of adding gypsum and Cal Chloride. I key to having a good malt backbone in an IPA is aging. IMHO

Back