ATTN: Pitbull Owners Beware of Pits w/ Children

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know Pitbulls get a bad wrap, but I was just forwarded this email from a co-worker and it really concerns me. If I had a pitbull it would make me keep my children far from it. The outcome just isn't worth the risk to me. Please see picture below.

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT

ChildPitbull.jpg

Get it GRAPHIC, because he's drawing! haha

<insert The Price Is Right losing gameshow sound here>

Looks more like a Bull Terrier to me anyway. :D

Those are washable markers. Problem solved with a simple bath.
Plus as mentioned its a bull terrier. :D

Craig

Heh. I think how a dog is raised is a bigger indicator of how it will behave than breed.

Sure a pitbull can rip your head off it is abused or trained to be that way, but a pitbull who is raised correctly most likely will never exhibit violent behavior.

Just the same, parents should always watch their kids when they are playing with the family dog.

My wife and I have to try to help our dog adjust to kids. He's not used to them so he freaks out when my nieces and nephews are around. I know he most likely would never hurt them, but the growling bothers me. Any ideas?

Thats a great Photo. I have a Miniature Bull Terrier, they are indeed the least aggressive of the Bully breeds. You want to meet a mean dog, get a Chihuahua. If those little bastards were any bigger they would rule the planet.

Thats a great Photo. I have a Miniature Bull Terrier, they are indeed the least aggressive of the Bully breeds. You want to meet a mean dog, get a Chihuahua. If those little bastards were any bigger they would rule the planet.

haha yes Chihuahuas are horrible little dogs.
Sorry about the misleading breed, I didn't think about when I received the email and don't know dog breeds too well.

When you're done drawing on them... I hear they make great pillows...

3305389261_c580c463ee.jpg

(kiwi had a sh!tastic life before we got her... including being shot and beaten.)

or a Corgi. one of my corgi's is down right mean (constantly tries to pick fights with my buddies pitbull).

so mean we've debated giving him away...he needs to be in a single dog household.
(we think its fear/aggression hardwired in his brain...he's lovable one second and feral the next for no obvious reason other than being taken by surprise)

that doesn't look like a pitbull to me. Here's a pick of a pitbull.
Still hilarious though.

Pitties don't all look alike, though. "Pit bull" includes several breeds of dog, including Staffordshire Bull Terriers, American Pit Bull Terriers, and American Staffordshire Terriers. In fact, many of the ones from the "American Pit Bull Terrier" breed don't have a wrinkly face like your (adorable!) pic does. E.g. the one in the pic here:
American Pit Bull Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
American staffie pic:
American Staffordshire Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That one looks like a Staffie to me:
Staffordshire Bull Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but all 3 breeds have a pretty wide range of appearance.

Yeah...um... our corgi's are the boss's. Kiwi (the pit bull) is always backing down when the corgi's give her crap.

Big vicious fighting dog I tell ya...

or a Corgi. one of my corgi's is down right mean (constantly tries to pick fights with my buddies pitbull).

so mean we've debated giving him away...he needs to be in a single dog household.
(we think its fear/aggression hardwired in his brain...he's lovable one second and feral the next for no obvious reason other than being taken by surprise)

Pitties don't all look alike, though. "Pit bull" includes several breeds of dog, including Staffordshire Bull Terriers, American Pit Bull Terriers, and American Staffordshire Terriers. In fact, many of the ones from the "American Pit Bull Terrier" breed don't have a wrinkly face like your (adorable!) pic does. E.g. the one in the pic here:
American staffie pic:

Pitts refer to the American Pitt Bull Terrier. It is very distinctly different looking than an AmStaff. Its also about 1/3 smaller

The only problem I have with big, powerful dogs isn't that they're more likely to become aggressive. The thing is you have no idea what kind of complex personality tweaks a dog has received from its biology and its environment, and any dog at all could theoretically react in an unexpected, violent way to the strangest of stimuli. With a small dog, no one is getting hurt if this happens. I don't believe that pit bulls are inherently more aggressive, just inherently more able to dole out heaps of damage.

The only problem I have with big, powerful dogs isn't that they're more likely to become aggressive. The thing is you have no idea what kind of complex personality tweaks a dog has received from its biology and its environment, and any dog at all could theoretically react in an unexpected, violent way to the strangest of stimuli. With a small dog, no one is getting hurt if this happens. I don't believe that pit bulls are inherently more aggressive, just inherently more able to dole out heaps of damage.

Problem is you really have to screw with one to get them to be aggressive to people as they were bread specifically to be non aggressive to people. Combination of starving and cruel treatment is usually what does it.

Problem is you really have to screw with one to get them to be aggressive to people as they were bread specifically to be non aggressive to people. Combination of starving and cruel treatment is usually what does it.

Exactly. If a pit is agressive towards humans - it was almost certainly due to an environment that would cause ANY dog to behave badly.

What really pisses me off is the "pit bull attack" where there's a picture of the dog and it's clearly a lab mix or other breed. According to the media, generally speaking, if a dog attacks - it's a pit bull.

I worked at a vet clinic for 3 years when I was younger. Only dogs I was worried about biting me were the little sh*ts...

I really hate having to be so farking defensive of a breed - but the ill informed allow or push for breed bans - most of them declaring a breed as a dangerous dog - and allowing animal control officers (little to no training) to determine the breed of a dog. This means you lab owners may see your labrador taken away because of a pit bull ban (it's happened...).

Exactly. If a pit is agressive towards humans - it was almost certainly due to an environment that would cause ANY dog to behave badly.

What really pisses me off is the "pit bull attack" where there's a picture of the dog and it's clearly a lab mix or other breed. According to the media, generally speaking, if a dog attacks - it's a pit bull.

I worked at a vet clinic for 3 years when I was younger. Only dogs I was worried about biting me were the little sh*ts...

I really hate having to be so farking defensive of a breed - but the ill informed allow or push for breed bans - most of them declaring a breed as a dangerous dog - and allowing animal control officers (little to no training) to determine the breed of a dog. This means you lab owners may see your labrador taken away because of a pit bull ban (it's happened...).

I guess one more reason to get papers and licenses for your dogs.

I guess one more reason to get papers and licenses for your dogs.

How's that going to help anything?

Papers - ok that'd work for purebreds, but what about mutts?

Breed bans are retarded. So are those that support them. Punish the deed, not the breed.

How's that going to help anything?

Papers - ok that'd work for purebreds, but what about mutts?

Breed bans are retarded. So are those that support them. Punish the deed, not the breed.

+1

I havn't had a dog since I was a kid but agree 100% with this. Any medium to large dog can be very dangerous if it is treated poorly or has mental problems. Poor treatment is environmental and an unfortunate problem with too many dogs. Pit bulls may be more likely to be a victim because of their reputation and use in dog fighting. However their natural temperament seems to more laid back and gentle than most other type.

And mutts often make the best dogs.

Craig

American staffie pic:

I don't think the dog pictured is any one of the 3 above. It looks more like a Bull Terrier to me.

However I could not tell the 3 listed above apart.

Craig

Ive been looking to rescue a dog from the pound the last few weeks. The pounds in AZ say if it has the word "PIT" anywhere in its breed, then by law they cannot let you adopt it if you have any children under the age of 18 in the home.

Ive been looking to rescue a dog from the pound the last few weeks. The pounds in AZ say if it has the word "PIT" anywhere in its breed, then by law they cannot let you adopt it if you have any children under the age of 18 in the home.

I dont agree with breed banning but the above law....maybe. I dont think I'd take a chance on a large dog from a pound, pit or otherwise. If I'm gonna get a medium/large dog I want to get it as a pup and train it properly.

I do whole heartedly agree that pits have a bad name for a number of BS reasons. Some of the best behaved dogs I've seen are of a pit bloodline. Farkin media ruined them and Vick helped pound the nails in the coffin.

I have a a couple friends that rescued a pit along with myself with no problums. I rescued my at 4 weeks old from Detroit. A lot of the local rescues in the area make sure they are well mannered and most of the time there already trained.

Pitts refer to the American Pitt Bull Terrier. It is very distinctly different looking than an AmStaff. Its also about 1/3 smaller

IME it includes them, AmStaff, and Staff Bull Terriers.

Pit Bull Rescue Central for instance says "The PBRC website is a virtual shelter and resource for owners and caretakers of American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and pit bull mixes," and that's pretty normal usage.

And Wikipedia notes "Pit Bull is a term commonly used to describe several breeds of dog in the Molosser family. The breeds most often placed in this category are the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier."

The UK registries even consider AmStaff and AmPBT to be the same breed.

IME it includes them, AmStaff, and Staff Bull Terriers.

Pit Bull Rescue Central for instance says "The PBRC website is a virtual shelter and resource for owners and caretakers of American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and pit bull mixes," and that's pretty normal usage.

And Wikipedia notes "Pit Bull is a term commonly used to describe several breeds of dog in the Molosser family. The breeds most often placed in this category are the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier."

The UK registries even consider AmStaff and AmPBT to be the same breed.

yea but the AmStaff and the APBT are 2 distinctly different dogs. One is much larger than the other with a much different disposition. I guess Labs/Pointers/Golden Retrievers are all the same too

Problem with the term "pit bull" is that it depends on what setting the term is being used in.

A recent ban bill (shut down before it hit the house) introduced by senator star... lets's see... googlefoo go!

Relating to pit bulls; creating new provisions; and amending ORS 609.098.
(b) 'Pit bull' means a dog that:
(A) Is registered or otherwise listed as an American pit bull
terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier or American Staffordshire

terrier with a dog breed club or league, dog fanciers
association, breed registry or similar organization; or
(B) Has an appearance and physical characteristics that
substantially conform
to the breed standards of the United Kennel
Club for an American pit bull terrier or of the American Kennel
Club for a Staffordshire bull terrier or an American
Staffordshire terrier, as those standards existed on January 1,
Those of you, even with different breeds, that aren't aware of BSL
(breed specific legislation), read the bill. The bill was dropped (LOTS
of calls and e-mails) - but it's language is similar to bills that have
passed.

Note the ambiguity on the obtaining of a special license...

Note "substantially conforming".

Even if you don't like pit bulls (I'd argue you haven't me them), be scared of BSL. Many innocent dogs - labs, boxers, danes, mutts have been taken from loving homes and put down because of little more than what they look like.

SECTION 2. ORS 609.098 is amended to read:
609.098. (1) As used in this section, 'dangerous dog' means a
dog that:

(a) Without provocation and in an aggressive manner inflicts
serious physical injury, as defined in ORS 161.015, on a person
or kills a person;
(b) Acts as a potentially dangerous dog, as defined in ORS
609.035, after having previously committed an act as a
potentially dangerous dog that resulted in the keeper being found
to have violated ORS 609.095; { - or - }
(c) Is used as a weapon in the commission of a crime { + ; or
(d) Is a pit bull, as defined in section 1 of this 2009

Again, this bill has been dropped - but the fact that stuff like this gets introduced, and sometimes passed, is scary as hell.

This is the kind of legislation that make no sense.
I have no problem with how they describe "Pit Bull", it is a reasonable description and covers the many crosses that are more likely to be used in dog fights. And even the first 3 descriptions of "dangerous dogs" is very reasonable. However is makes no sense to define a dog as dangerous based simply on its appearance, which is what section 2 d tries to do. And ofcourse without section 2 d then section 1 has no point.

Glad to see this article failed, now if Ohio would just clean up its law. :rolleyes:

Actually I think there is legislation in progress to remove the breed specific language from Ohio laws. Someone has a brain cell or two at the state house.

Craig

Problem with the term "pit bull" is that it depends on what setting the term is being used in.

A recent ban bill (shut down before it hit the house) introduced by senator star... lets's see... googlefoo go!

Relating to pit bulls; creating new provisions; and amending ORS 609.098.
Those of you, even with different breeds, that aren't aware of BSL
(breed specific legislation), read the bill. The bill was dropped (LOTS
of calls and e-mails) - but it's language is similar to bills that have
passed.

Note the ambiguity on the obtaining of a special license...

Note "substantially conforming".

Even if you don't like pit bulls (I'd argue you haven't me them), be scared of BSL. Many innocent dogs - labs, boxers, danes, mutts have been taken from loving homes and put down because of little more than what they look like.

Again, this bill has been dropped - but the fact that stuff like this gets introduced, and sometimes passed, is scary as hell.

Just another example of the government taking individual rights and freedoms away from its citizens. The reason bills like that get started are irresponsible owners. Don't know how to train a dog or don't care. The reason pitts get the limelight is if one does attack, the guy that said, it's not how big the dog is in the fight, it's how big is the fight in the dog. Like Cesar says, these are red zone dogs, once you get his dander up, it takes a lot to shut them down.

The most dangerous dog I ever met was this little border collie looking mutt. That dog took a shot at biting everybody it came in contact with. He would be wagging his tail and as soon as you looked away, whango!

Alarmist misinformation is the stock in trade of politicians seeking acclaim as being proactive. They can take rumors or freakish occurrences that are irresponsibly reported in the media or on the internet and magnify the siginificance of the event to the point where a groundswell of complicit opinion causes bills like above. It oftens disguises a hidden agenda.

How long do you think we would be able to brew beer at home if it became common opinion that the practice was harmful or dangerous to pets or children.

When I moved into my current house our homeowner's policy was cancelled because we were deemed to own a "dangerous breed". They determined this by having an adjustor who was photographing our house snap a picture of the dog in the yard. They included a copy of the photo in the letter cancelling our policy. His nose was about a foot from the camera and you could only see a blur where his tail should be because it was wagging. The adjustor actually wrote on the photo. "Very friendly dog"

They allowed no appeal to their decision and the law supports them on this policy. It is written into law that insurance companies can deny coverage to people owning dangerous breeds with no recourse.

Back