Attn: Brewers In Florida

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kypher

Reaction score
Where do you get your ingredients/supplies? I can only find one homebrew shop and it's in Orlando...too far south. Is there any secret hole in the wall shop that I don't know about? (Not a brew-on-site type place either)

Florida is pretty dry in terms of LHBS. From what I hear, Hearts in Orlando is horrible. I use Brew Master's Warehouse.com, usually ships next day and is on the door step in 1 to two days at the most. Highly recommended.

Homebrewden in Tallahassee. I've gotten everything from them since day 1, aside from some odds and ends at Hearts.

Hearts is definitely not walk in friendly. You have to either call ahead/order online for pickup/shipping or the guys are complete jerks.

I used to order my grains and yeast from Hearts Home brew Supply in Orlando when I first started out. I have since found a much closer place to go and the guys there are very helpful and friendly. Sorry to say they don't have a website with everything that they sell. But they do have a webpage. Hopefully they'll get it on line soon. From what I've been told the owner is a wholesale maltster and deals mainly with malt and as of last year began selling all homebrew stuff including wine kits. Here's a link to the webpage: http://www.southernbrewing.com/ . They are located in Tampa near Busch Gardens.

I second the brewmasterswarehouse.com recommendation. We ordered over 40lbs of grain from them recently and still paid the flat rate shipping ($6.99) and two day fedex to south florida! Love it.

Ouch...Orlando and Tampa... I'm going to be in Boynton Beach, about an hour north of Miami. Anything closer to me?

Homebrew Den in Tallahassee is great - and they just moved into a new, bigger place. The best thing about the place is the staff. They're really nice, knowledgeable, and have spent lots of time with me helping pick ingredients.

They also have a website, but it kinda sucks...hopefully they'll update that along with their new store.

"Just brew it" in Jacksonville Florida has always been helpful and I love giving them my business. I lived in Jacksonville and moved to Orlando and absolutely hate Hearts home brew. Been in there 4 times and every single time the guy was so short with me. If I wanted to browse he chewed me out and if I didn't know exactly what I wanted he always pressured me like I was wasting his time.

I go out of my way to not give them my business. Even if I have to order online or get supplies when visiting in Jacksonville.

I lived in Jacksonville and moved to Orlando and absolutely hate Hearts home brew. Been in there 4 times and every single time the guy was so short with me. If I wanted to browse he chewed me out and if I didn't know exactly what I wanted he always pressured me like I was wasting his time.

I go out of my way to not give them my business.

That store has the worst rep in central fla, a wonder its still open everbody who has had to deal with says the samething....

I am not the best brewer and dont know everything about home brewing but I feel that I could run a better business than hearts. I dont know how you could be bitter about this hobby. I am almost giddy when anybody has a question about brewing.

Pretty funny. I did a search on Hearts because I was wondering if it was just the fact I was a newbie that the guys in Heart treated me like dirt. I guess not.

I live in Orlando and order all my stuff online. I order from lots of places, depending on what I want and the total price (after shipping). I like Midwest Supplies grain selection and prices but also use Brewmasters Warehouse, Austin Homebrew, and Morebeer.

I get my base grains in bulk from North Country Malt and get my hops by the pound from either Hops Direct or sometimes from one of the vendors on this site (like Steelers77 or wholesalehops). Kegs/keg parts/fittings and such I get from CHI company or Keggle Brewing or individuals on this site (o-rings I get from McMaster-Carr).

TBH, even if Hearts was customer friendly I'd prob still order online. The prices are usually better, no tax, often free or very low shipping, and it's delivered right to your door.

I hope nobody thought my first post was a bash. I'm always suspicious of those. I have pretty much been lurking and reading (learning a bunch) so I didn't post yet. This is a great site by the way.

I went in Hearts because I was interested in trying homebrew and wanted to get an idea of what all was involved. Amazingly after a couple visits I still wanted to try it, so I made their American Brown Ale and it turned out quite yummy! Going in that store makes me think of that movie Office Space, and I have to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays!".

I just ordered a wheat beer from Austin supply though. I also had to try Edworts apple wine after discovering that sick eternal thread under recipes. I'm looking forward to trying that in a few months.

I don't think I would need quite the volume of stuff at this point to order in bulk yet. But you never know!

Dave

I just checked brewmasterswarehouse.com>
55lb sack of Crisp Maris Otter, 55lb Belgian Pilsner = $177.49 total -shipping inc.

When buying grain, flat rate shipping is not your friend. The shipping is built into the price of the grain, so you pay shipping over and over again.

North Country Malt would probably ship you 3 bags for less than that, maybe 4.

This thread made me laugh. I went to Hearts the other day to pick up a few things like yeast and some vienna for a weekend brew, and needed the stuff quicker than I could get online.

I will NEVER go back there, EVER!! Horrible customer service. Bad attutude, and it seemed as though I was a burden on him when i asked him a simple, "where are your rubber stoppers?"

If you can avoid this place, do it! You will be glad you did.

I've had nothing but good experiences from hearts home brew. If you order online you'll get it next day in FL. I heard the guy is stand offish in person, but i never met him. Their prices are a tad high though. In Cocoa there is a place called Sunseed Coop that sells great priced ingredients.

For edworts apelwein what applejuice did you use? I wanted to try it but didn't know if the stuff at publix was the natural stuff or full of preservatives, so I am still holding off.

Gainesville, FL has Hoggetowne Ale Works - great store, with fair prices on grains and hops (some of the other stuff is more expensive than at the online stores though).

What I can't get there, I order from Brewmaster's Warehouse

I bought the Target brand stuff (Market Pantry) which has apple juice concentrate and ascorbic acid (vitamin C). It bubbled it's butt off for about a week but has settled into a nice calm trickle. Hearts has the montrachet yeasts.

There is a great LHBS that opened in Tampa. They have an excellent all grain, hop, yeast selection as well as a plenty of equipment.

They have a great website. You can save time by shopping online and picking up at their store. Located on Falkenburg Rd. North close to Brandon and Tampa off of I75 and I4. 35-40 minutes from Orlando.

Booth's Brewing, Tampa Home Brewing Supplies/

There is a great LHBS that opened in Tampa. They have an excellent all grain, hop, yeast selection as well as a plenty of equipment.

They have a great website. You can save time by shopping online and picking up at their store. Located on Falkenburg Rd. North close to Brandon and Tampa off of I75 and I4. 35-40 minutes from Orlando.

Booth's Brewing, Tampa Home Brewing Supplies/

I was wondering about that place. I have been loving Southern, on Busch Blvd., it is incredible. They are about to move around the corner on to Nebraska. Decent info on their Facebook page. I was so used to tiny little shops, then this came along.

Homebrewing has come a long way since I was going to the Hoggtowne Brewer in Gainesville, back in the day.:fro:

I was wondering about that place. I have been loving Southern, on Busch Blvd., it is incredible. They are about to move around the corner on to Nebraska. Decent info on their Facebook page. I was so used to tiny little shops, then this came along.

Homebrewing has come a long way since I was going to the Hoggtowne Brewer in Gainesville, back in the day.:fro:

They have a holiday sale - save 10% online and ship or pickup in store.

Enter "BREWFB10" promotion code when checking out (online only) and save 10% off your entire order! (until December 24th, 2010) - Save on in-store pickup or ship anywhere in the USA.

Thanks, OldE

Latest posts

Back