attic drying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just dried my first batch of Mt. Hood hops. I laid the hops, 1-2 thick on a thin blanket in my attic with an oscillating fan blowing over them. It's hot in Balto, MD this week(90F+). They were dry in less than 24 hours!! I was stunned. Today I picked the rest of the Mt Hoods and Nugget and am giving them a similar treatment. I also placed a thermometer with them. I'll report back on these. The Nugget were a much larger and thicker hop. Might take a little longer. Cascade tomorrow:rockin: Brewing this weekend...what's new.

I just picked my nugget today...drying as we speak.

My cascades seem to be maturing in waves so it's been a little trying to pick just the browning ones.

I just picked my nugget today...drying as we speak.

My cascades seem to be maturing in waves so it's been a little trying to pick just the browning ones.

Same for my cascade. I decided just to pick 'em all. What will be will be. I couldn't believe how big some of them were.

I just took my 3rd harvest off my Cascade today and only had one harvest on my Magnum, but I have dried it all on screens in the attic. 24hours later you're ready to vacuum pack! Yeah, some of the Cascade cones were huge! This final harvest had little cones.

From two 1st year bines I've dried 22oz. plus what is drying right now. From the two 1st year Magnum bines yielded 5oz. My two Fuggle bines didn't do squat!

Attic drying is the way to go! So simple :ban:

I wish I had done multiple harvest of cascade. Seems some were perfect and others were not quite there. Attic is spot on:rockin: Charlie

I just took my 3rd harvest off my Cascade today and only had one harvest on my Magnum, but I have dried it all on screens in the attic. 24hours later you're ready to vacuum pack! Yeah, some of the Cascade cones were huge! This final harvest had little cones.

From two 1st year bines I've dried 22oz. plus what is drying right now. From the two 1st year Magnum bines yielded 5oz. My two Fuggle bines didn't do squat!

Attic drying is the way to go! So simple :ban:

Back