Attenuative phase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radtek

Reaction score
Is it a problem to raise the temp of a brew once it has reached desired FG? Even if the batch is less than a week old? I like to keep ale temps fairly stable (65-68) for weeks before kegging.

Now I want to move my fermenters out of a water bath (so I can use it) after the bulk of fermentation is done and raise the temp of the brew to 70-75F for several weeks.

I've had problems in the past with out-of-control warm ferments but they were from lag phase onwards. Bad off temp flavors...LOL Like sucking on nail polish and chewing on band-aids.

Thoughts?

I don't think 70-75°F is a big deal... especially after fermentation is complete. The most important time for fermentation temperature control is early in fermentation. Think about some Belgian ales... the breweries raise the temp to ~80°F during fermentation. Depending on the storage time (more than a month or so), you could get some yeast decay (off-flavors), but you could alleviate that by transferring to a secondary and getting the beer off the trub.

After primary fermentation, I always raise mine to about 75° for two weeks. I think it lessens the amount of time the beer is 'green', but that is just me.

... Depending on the storage time (more than a month or so), you could get some yeast decay (off-flavors), but you could alleviate that by transferring to a secondary and getting the beer off the trub.

I agree - its likely that the only danger is if its too high for too long with a lot of yeast sediment laying around waiting to decay.

Back