attenuation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question as I am a noob but how do you calculate the percentage of attenuation ? I keep on hearing about high and low percentages of attenuation but I'm not sure how to get those numbers. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is probably a stupid question as I am a noob but how do you calculate the percentage of attenuation ? I keep on hearing about high and low percentages of attenuation but I'm not sure how to get those numbers. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I could be wrong but I would think the formula is:

(OG-FG)/OG x 100% but you only use the last 2 digits so say a beer with og of 1.050 and fg 1.010

(50-10)/50 x 100%=80% attenuation

Both formulas above are correct, just a question of using OG and FG as 1.050 format or just 50.
I'm not sure though that this is what the original post asked. I though it asked on expected attenuations values (high and low from yeast manufactor) and if there is a way to calculate or estimate what the attenuation will be prior to brew a specific recipe.
If this was the question, than the answer is much more complicated, it will depend on big number of variables, although not impossible to "estimate" the attenuation.
Some variables, to list a few important, would be:
-Type of recipe, all grain or extract
-Type of extract, liquid, dry, light, amber, dark, manufactor
-Grain bill if all grain
-Mashing temperature
-Yeast strain and fermentation temperature

Basically, most people just use the standard yeast attenuation.

So that's apparent attenuation, Do we have a use for real attenuation? If so how is real attenuation calculated?

Latest posts

Back