attenuation too low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lflesh

Reaction score
I made a Bavarian Hef and added 3lbs of honey at flame out. OG was 1.087 and Current Gravity is 1.040 Its been in the Primary for over 3 weeks. It hasnt changed in a few days. I think Im at 54%- Is that too low? What would happen if I bottled now? Is that going to be toooo sweet of a beer. Although, I would like the honey to come through. Thanks.

what yeast did you use? Whats the recipe? Honey isnt usually found in hefs as far as i know but will completly ferment out in primary fermentation. 1.040 is waaaaaaay to high! Some milder beers start at that gravity. Need to know more info.

wayy too low. That beer will be undrinkable I would imagine. Get some new yeast and pitch it. What temp has it been sitting at? and what yeast strain?

Recipe was
6# Wheat malt extract
1# wheat malt
.25# munich malt
1oz Mt Hood Hops
3# honey
WLP300
Its been fermenting around 71˚. Correction on my current gravity... it should be 1.037. If I pitch new yeast; does it have to bee the same and should I keep it in primary or pitch in the secondary. Thank you for help.

...You really shouldnt have to repitch. Try and swirl the yeast up to get it going again but since its hef yeast it should still be in solution. Maybe try adding some yeast nutrient?. Did you aerate well when you pitched? wlp300 shouldnt poop out yet but by my calculation your at over 6% abv....I would move to a slightly warmer area and give it more time...its going to be cloyingly sweet if you drink it now.

A hefe yeast strain is not very flocculent so it should be working without the need to rouse. So this is very odd. Is there much yeast settled on the bottom?

Could the temp have dropped significantly at any time, like at night?

Maybe try and warm it up a bit and swirl as suggested earlier. If that doesn't work then pitch some dry yeast. Something like Nottingham might do it.

If all else fails try lalvin EC 1118 champagne yeast. It works well restarting fermentation when in the presence of alcohol. (Not all yeast strains will go to work in an existing alc rich environment.)

Both your O.G. and F.G. seem way too high for the style and ingredients used. It's a long shot, but I almost suspect that there's something wrong with your hydrometer. Try using it with plain water and see what reading you get (it should be very close to 1.000). Have you tried tasting the hydrometer sample? How does it taste?

Both your O.G. and F.G. seem way too high for the style and ingredients used. It's a long shot, but I almost suspect that there's something wrong with your hydrometer. Try using it with plain water and see what reading you get (it should be very close to 1.000). Have you tried tasting the hydrometer sample? How does it taste?

Just plugged the recipe into BeerSmith. Assuming you didn't mash and it's a 5-gallon batch, the estimated OG is 1.065. If you mashed the wheat and munich grains (which you need to in order to extract any sugars) it jumps up a little, but only to 1.071. So, I'm going to second the idea that you have a hydrometer error of some kind.

EDIT: correction - the above is using wheat LME. If you used wheat DME the numbers go higher, but only as far as 1.080 - still considerably short of your OG of 1.087

Tells us more about the yeast other than the strain WLP300. Did you pitch 2 of them or did you use a starter or anything?

That is a huge beer for just one vial with no starter.

I tried swirling it a bit and am trying to get it a warmer area. I only pitched 1 of the WLP300. The starter could have been a lot better. If I need to repitch some yeast; can I use Safale US 05 or WLP011 Euro Ale? (thats what I have on hand). And should I transfer to Secondary. Cant see the yeast too well through the bucket. Thanks for the help guys.

Back