Attenuation in SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gxm

Reaction score
This was my first AG batch, and I expected a little more attenuation from this, started at 52 & ended at 14 after two weeks. I used 10# Maris Otter and mashed at 154F for 60 minutes. Used a yeast cake of US-05.
So 73% attenuation, which is reasonable, but I expected a bit more since I wasn't using any less fermentable specialty grains.

The sample is tasty and isn't sweet, I'm mostly just curious about the numbers.

You should have had a few more points out of so5, but 154 is on the "higher" end of mash temperatures. Not too high but should leave a medium body, and a medium amount of unfermentables.

If you really want to dry your beer out next time...shoot for a 150 temp and hold that mash for 90 minutes. Longer mashes play an extreme part in getting a more attenuated beer.

With my SMaSH brews of MO, with a 9lb grist mashed at 154* and re-hydrated US-05:

1.044 to 1.010 for 76.5% apparent attenuation

and

1.046 to 1.011 for 75.3% apparent attenuation

I would wager that's a pretty average attenuation for the grain bill.

Thanks mmb. I suppose if I'd ended up at 13 instead of 14, I'd have 75% and be consistent with your results. I'm not going to sweat a point :)

Back