Attention Mail Order Vendors - Get A Clue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

korndog

Reaction score
My latest debacle involves Bacterial cultures shipped in the middle of August (from a popular vendor) in a non-insulated container. I get these things with melted ice packs in a foil envelope. Naturally they were about 120F after cooking in the big brown oven that delivered them (2nd day air). Since they are not smack packs and i can't culture anaerobically, I have no way of knowing if they are viable. The last order from another reputable shipper just had some yeast thrown in the box with no ice pack. I contacted Wyeast and they confirmed that both of these were unacceptable and inadequate packaging.

Stay cool
KD

This time of year, I would refrain from ordering any liquid yeasts from any vendor more than two days shipping time that did not offer the little cooler and ice pack service.

I also would only order on Sunday evenings.

Fortunately, I work only 15 minutes from Austin Homebrew Supply and my office has a fridge. :D

Can you have your LHBS special order what you want, instead of having it shipped from a online e-tailer to your house? I bet Wyeast/White Labs ships in cooled trucks, dry ice or something else appropriate.

I'm guessing there's not a LHBS next to the Ann Taylor or Tag Heuer in Westlake Village, but perhaps one where you can order a bunch of yeast and roadtrip once a month for pickup.

The easiest way to tell if cells are still viable is to make starter...heck, considering many of us harvest yeast from a few dribbles in the bottom of bottles into large starters, if you get a few cells that survived, then you can just keep feeding them til you get a decent amount.

Can you have your LHBS special order what you want, instead of having it shipped from a online e-tailer to your house? I bet Wyeast/White Labs ships in cooled trucks, dry ice or something else appropriate.

Well my LHBS doesn't get their yeast delivered by the saccharomyces wagon. It comes via Fedex or UPS, but I suspect they are packed with some cold packs and insulating material.

The easiest way to tell if cells are still viable is to make starter...heck, considering many of us harvest yeast from a few dribbles in the bottom of bottles into large starters, if you get a few cells that survived, then you can just keep feeding them til you get a decent amount.

Unfortunately, I don't have the capability to make a Pediococcus starter. That's the problemo with this delivery.

This time of year, I would refrain from ordering any liquid yeasts from any vendor more than two days shipping time that did not offer the little cooler and ice pack service.

I also would only order on Sunday evenings.
Even so, you'd think ordering on a Monday/Tuesday with ice packs would get you cold yeast by Friday/Saturday. In my case, a Tuesday order netted me a "we've packed/shipped your order" email on Friday, meaning the yeast spent the weekend in a UPS warehouse with the (extra) ice packs thawing. By the time I got my yeast the next Wednesday, it had been at 90+° for at least five days.

Yes, I can make a starter, but the point behind ordering multiple vials of yeast was to have enough to pitch without a starter.

Even if vendors can't pack an order immediately, you'd think they'd have enough sense not to pack and ship a yeast order on Friday afternoon, knowing that it was just going to sit in a UPS warehouse all weekend.

Chad

Sorry, korndog, but it's tough to find fault with the shipper when the product arrived in two days with an ice pack (melted or not) included. You accepted a certain amount of risk when you ordered a perishable product in the dead of summer.

Sorry, korndog, but it's tough to find fault with the shipper when the product arrived in two days with an ice pack (melted or not) included. You accepted a certain amount of risk when you ordered a perishable product in the dead of summer.

Well, not according to Wyeast. They said the shipment was not packed properly upon viewing a photo of the material. I would have paid for overnight, ice chest shipping if I was told there would be an issue. This was a phone order specifically so I could get the product in time and in good shape. Wyeast was wonderful by the way, and is arranging for a refund for me. I didn't even ask for it.

KD

Did you order from Wyeast? If not, I'm surprised they're honoring a third party "mistake," but it speaks well of the company.

Not direct; third party. Yes, I was VERY impressed with their customer service. A lady named Candy responded to my email within minutes and went out of her way to find my replacements locally and offered to make it right. Shockingly good.

KD

Back