Attention Kansas City Locals and Past Visitors!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k1ngl1ves

Well-Hung Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey! I'm leaving for KC tomorrow for a family vacation and a convention. I'll have all day Tuesday and Wednesday for activities, and Thursday-Saturday evenings to check out this city. I've never been there before. I did some googling, but I wanted to get advice from locals and past tourists...

What's some great things to do with family in KC? I'm going to the WWI museum and Boulevard for sure, but I have no idea what else is good. Just like any city, I'm sure some things are over-priced and not worth the effort, while there will also be some hidden gems only locals know.

Also, what's the top 5 best bbq joints? Great nightlife spots too?

Thanks! I appreciate all replies!

:mug:

Worlds of fun if you want to go to a good amusement park. I'm taking the family there in July, so I'll be following this to see what else there is to do. I was wondering what the best bottle shop for beer is.

The Westport district is a really fun place to go. They have 3 or 4 brewpubs that all male fairly good brews and are fun to go too

If you like jazz or if you have interest in the negro baseball league 18th and vine. Also some night life here. This is a historical area for kc.

Crown Center has a few options. An aquarium and a train museum, Legoland and some other options. I didn't see if you were bringing anyone along but this is more geared to children and young at heart.

Oklahoma Joe's BBQ, gates, Arthur Bryant's. not in that order. If you like South Carolina style BBQ Arthur Bryant's is influenced by that. I believe the other two are the sweet KC style everyone knows.

Nelson-Atkins museum for art.

Westport, zona-rosa and power & light district are all night life areas.

Calibration brewing is on armour road close to worlds of fun. I've only tried their IPA and it's decent but it's a little brewpub. I haven't lived in the area for a while and none of these brew pubs were around when I lived there.

Q39 is hands down the best BBQ in KC. It is only a few years old, so it doesn't get as much attention as some of the older joints. You can also never go wrong with Joe's. As far as the local breweries go, they are all pretty good, but my personal favorite is Torn Label.

Q39 is hands down the best BBQ in KC. It is only a few years old, so it doesn't get as much attention as some of the older joints. You can also never go wrong with Joe's. As far as the local breweries go, they are all pretty good, but my personal favorite is Torn Label.

Any good bottle shops? I'm staying on Westport for 2 days, then staying downtown downtown for te rest of the week.

Thanks!

Any of the Gomer's liquor stores usually have a pretty good selection.

If your looking for a bottle shop where you can drink, go to Bier Station, 120 E. Gregory (A.K.A 71st St.) It has about 28 Taps, and a wall cooler with a ton of bottles. You can grab a bottle and take it to the bar to drink there, or put together a six pack to go.

Exactly the kind of info I was looking for! Thanks guys! :mug:

I am in Omaha and we go to KC once or twice a year.

Jack Stack is pretty good BBQ too. Great Steaks (either grass or corn fed) at Antoine's (Downtownish) ot Houstons (Country Club).

The Country Club district is high end, but cool architecture. It is not too far from the Nelson Atkins Museum, which is free. Lots of fountains in the area, which are beautiful.

Take the free trolly/tram from Crown Plaza/Union Station through downtown to the River District. It is a good easy (did I say free) way to see the sights and plot out what you want to do. It goes by the Power and Light District (2 square blocks where you can walk around with drinks), Kemper Arena, Sprint Center and a bunch of other interesting places. I don't think it is far from the WW1 museum (Union Station that is).

As others have said, Westport is nice, (similar to Omaha's Old Market). There are also a few brew pubs within a mile of Boulevard in the Cornerstone Art district. There are 3 or 4 breweries within a few blocks. This includes Second Shift and Border Brewing, both are small. I think Border is only a 3 barrel brewery in what amounts to the large 1 bay garage. Second Shift is in an old gas station, I think and is a 7 barrel brewery.

It is good you are going to Boulevard during the week, they may be bottling, which it cool to see (wear tennis shoes), They don't allow flip flops (or you will have to wear surgical booties). As I recall after the tour you get a couple 4oz samplers free and they sell more for $1. Go early as the tours fill fast, we went at 11:00 a.m..

You might also see if the Royals are in town. Baseball tickets at not that expensive (cheaper than Cubs or W. Sox).

Sporting Kansas City is also playing on Saturday, those games are a blast to go to and also relatively inexpensive compared to other professional sporting events.

If your looking for a bottle shop where you can drink, go to Bier Station, 120 E. Gregory (A.K.A 71st St.) It has about 28 Taps, and a wall cooler with a ton of bottles. You can grab a bottle and take it to the bar to drink there, or put together a six pack to go.

Where is this in relation to the Downtown/Union Station/Plaza corridor. I am heading to Overland Park in a couple weeks and like places like that too.

Any good bottle shops? I'm staying on Westport for 2 days, then staying downtown downtown for te rest of the week.

Thanks!

If your going to be in Westport, don't miss the Doughnut Lounge. Yes it is exactly what it sounds like. A bar that makes great doughnuts in all kinds of bizarre flavors (i.e. Portland's Voodoo Doughnut).

I am in Omaha and we go to KC once or twice a year.

Jack Stack is pretty good BBQ too. Great Steaks (either grass or corn fed) at Antoine's (Downtownish) ot Houstons (Country Club).

The Country Club district is high end, but cool architecture. It is not too far from the Nelson Atkins Museum, which is free. Lots of fountains in the area, which are beautiful.

Take the free trolly/tram from Crown Plaza/Union Station through downtown to the River District. It is a good easy (did I say free) way to see the sights and plot out what you want to do. It goes by the Power and Light District (2 square blocks where you can walk around with drinks), Kemper Arena, Sprint Center and a bunch of other interesting places. I don't think it is far from the WW1 museum (Union Station that is).

As others have said, Westport is nice, (similar to Omaha's Old Market). There are also a few brew pubs within a mile of Boulevard in the Cornerstone Art district. There are 3 or 4 breweries within a few blocks. This includes Second Shift and Border Brewing, both are small. I think Border is only a 3 barrel brewery in what amounts to the large 1 bay garage. Second Shift is in an old gas station, I think and is a 7 barrel brewery.

It is good you are going to Boulevard during the week, they may be bottling, which it cool to see (wear tennis shoes), They don't allow flip flops (or you will have to wear surgical booties). As I recall after the tour you get a couple 4oz samplers free and they sell more for $1. Go early as the tours fill fast, we went at 11:00 a.m..

You might also see if the Royals are in town. Baseball tickets at not that expensive (cheaper than Cubs or W. Sox).

Great info! Thank you!

Sporting Kansas City is also playing on Saturday, those games are a blast to go to and also relatively inexpensive compared to other professional sporting events.

Not a bad idea! I'll look it up.

I have my wife and 2 children with me, but my parents will be down come Wednesday night. We have adjoining rooms, so they offered to watch the kids at night so I can take my wife out for fun and drinks. Until then, we are looking for kids stuff to do. There seems to be a ton down here. We went to the Zoo today... wow! What a great place! Better than the ones by me.

Is the aquarium worth it, or is it an over-priced tourist trap like the Shedd in Chicago?

Great info! Thank you!

We went to the Zoo today... wow! What a great place! Better than the ones by me.

Is the aquarium worth it, or is it an over-priced tourist trap like the Shedd in Chicago?

On your way home go up I-29 to Omaha and the Henry Doorly Zoo, it's ranked as the #1 Zoo in the world (takes all day though). You can then take I-80 home.

Never been to the Aquarium, but I would expect it is a step down from the Shedd. With kids you could take them to the Science City at Union Station (not too far from Westport). There is a planetarium and Imax attached.

On your way home go up I-29 to Omaha and the Henry Doorly Zoo, it's ranked as the #1 Zoo in the world (takes all day though). You can then take I-80 home.

Never been to the Aquarium, but I would expect it is a step down from the Shedd. With kids you could take them to the Science City at Union Station (not too far from Westport). There is a planetarium and Imax attached.

I'll be on a beeline to get home on Sunday, for work on Monday.

I'll be back here next year, so I will take your advice and go to Omaha first.

Never thought about Nebraska. But honestly, who does? :ban:

Nelson-Atkins museum for art.

Note: It is free admission, but PACKED with cool art stuff if you're into that. Also, I think you are already doing the WW museum as you had mentioned that in the other thread...definitely do it.

Find the earliest time. I went in August, first tour, and we had a blast. There was like six of us and I ended up getting 3-4-5 free pints by the time everything was said and done ... they were really slow that day so didn't mind allow me to try everything. (I am sure it will be busier as we're now in the summer, so you might not be as lucky.)

Where is this in relation to the Downtown/Union Station/Plaza corridor. I am heading to Overland Park in a couple weeks and like places like that too.

The plaza is around 48th street so that would put bier station about 2-3 miles south of it and a few blocks east. The nice thing about KC is that nothing is too far away.

Great info! Thank you!

Not a bad idea! I'll look it up.

I have my wife and 2 children with me, but my parents will be down come Wednesday night. We have adjoining rooms, so they offered to watch the kids at night so I can take my wife out for fun and drinks. Until then, we are looking for kids stuff to do. There seems to be a ton down here. We went to the Zoo today... wow! What a great place! Better than the ones by me.

I thought the aquarium was cool. But everything's cheaper when that's where you grew up. No hotel fee and all.

A little disappointed about Boulevard. The food isn't very good, and nothing in a bottle that was a brewery special. Skipped the tour. Most of the beer available is already distributed in my town.

They did have some brewery specific beers on tap, but nothing to make me say "Wow!" Hopefully Torn Label will be better.

Q39 was amazing! We've got reservations for Jack's tonight...

Westport is a blast! 18th & Vine wasn't for me. It's small and a bit blah. Gonna hit the Power & Light tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Good luck with Torn Label. I'm not a fan of their beer, but there are a lot of people who are.

Jack Stack will be good. I think the barbeque is better at Joe's KC, but Jacks is really good and you get table service vs a walk up place.

Does anyone know if Rock and Run is a decent brewpub? I was thinking about checking it out.

Good luck with Torn Label. I'm not a fan of their beer, but there are a lot of people who are.

Jack Stack will be good. I think the barbeque is better at Joe's KC, but Jacks is really good and you get table service vs a walk up place.

Jack's was good, but a bit pricey. We're going to Joe's this evening.

Any recommendations on brew pubs and bottle shops?

Thanks!

Sorry, I'm a little late in responding, but I was the one that suggested Bier Station earlier. Did you happen to make it by there?
What are your thoughts on Torn Label? Also, how was Joes KC barbecue?

I did not make it to Bier Station. I also didn't make it to Torn Label... I got ripped at Up Down instead. Lol! That place was awesome! Then we went to KC Live in the Power & Light. There was an awesome cover band that did all 90's hip hop... "dolewite" was their name. They surprised me. They were really good! The only decent beer I found there was in the sports bar that makes up the venue. The rest of the places just had bmc offerings. :(

Joe's KC is great! We also ate at JJ's... and it wasn't what google reviews said it was. It was overly nice and overly priced. Not bbq either. We were wearing t-shirts and flip flops. Everyone else in there was dressed like they were going to a funeral. So in my beach-type attire, I ate the scallops with lobster risotto. Lol! That meal was $350 for 5 people and 3 kids. Holy Hell!

In my opinion, Q39 was the best bbq in town! Ate there twice, and great prices! I highly recommend the bbq pork tacos.

Found a great liquor store. Can't remember the name. It was by the Plaza...? Maybe just 2 blocks west of Summit and 45th? It was close to where I stayed the last 4 nights (Hampton Inn on Summit). They had just about anything one could want.

Overall, it's a wonderful city! Everyone was really nice and helpful. The cabbies were decent... just like in any city. Everything seems like it is only a few minutes away. It's really clean. The WWI Musuem is amazing. The Zoo is gigantic. The kids absolutely loved Lego Land and the Science City. There are fountains everywhere too! Opportunities abound for inappropriate fountain pics if you stand at just the right angles! :ban:

For others going to KC:

Stay out of the parks in the evening and early in the morning... unless you'd like to see addicts and homeless washing up in the fountains. Other than that, the city is pretty safe. The city is insanely hilly too. I didn't expect that, and my legs were tired every night before bed... and I'm in good shape and health!

I had a fantastic time, and can't wait to go again next year! There's so much I missed!

Thanks everyone for the info and recommendations! I truly do appreciate it! :mug:

Thanks for this thread. I'm headed there in September. Boulevard seems to be the one must-see brewery. Anybody got any other suggestions that aren't already above?

Thanks for this thread. I'm headed there in September. Boulevard seems to be the one must-see brewery. Anybody got any other suggestions that aren't already above?

I was disappointed in Boulevard. The food is not good. There were no bottled "brewery exclusive" beers. There were a couple on tap, but nothing amazing. Overall, I thought their best beers were the same as what's readily available in Chicago already. :-( I won't bother to go to the brewery again.

I went to KC again in early June this year. Q39 is still the best bbq in my opinion. Jack Stacks is great too, but pricey.

Latest posts

Back