Attention Grammur Nazi's!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm an English teacher, and nothing annoys me more than signs or billboards that have poor grammar or misspelled words on them(especially if they are road signs). However, I would not vandalize the sign. On occasion I will let folks know that their sign needs correcting, but mostly I chalk it up to laziness. If I were paying good money for a sign, I'd proofread it first.

Your mission, should you choose to accept is to go to TEAL's website and find grammatical errors then hack in and correct them. :)

I'm an English teacher, and nothing annoys me more than signs or billboards that have poor grammar or misspelled words on them(especially if they are road signs). However, I would not vandalize the sign. On occasion I will let folks know that their sign needs correcting, but mostly I chalk it up to laziness. If I were paying good money for a sign, I'd proofread it first.

Do signs like "bathroom thru the hallway" bother you as much as they do me?

Your mission, should you choose to accept is to go to TEAL's website and find grammatical errors then hack in and correct them. :)

I think it'd be funnier to find the wiki entry on them, and edit it to contain a ton of typos and punctuation errors....

its at least easier :)

Ok I'll admit it. Misuse of they're, their, there, your, and you're raises the hair on the back of my neck. Using an apostrophe to denote plurals makes me crazy. But the people in that article have some kind of disorder.

If you can't stop yourself from defacing public property because of a misplaced apostrophe, see a doctor.

-Joe

Ok I'll admit it. Misuse of they're, their, there, your, and you're raises the hair on the back of my neck. Using an apostrophe to denote plurals makes me crazy. But the people in that article have some kind of disorder.

If you can't stop yourself from defacing public property because of a misplaced apostrophe, see a doctor.

-Joe

Those, and substitution of the word "then" for "than" all drive me nuts.

I like it when I get a business card with bad grammar and spelling
I'm in the processing of hiring for a technical position and as I read through the resumes I highlight grammatical or spelling errors. I include in this list "ASCII" listed as "Ascii," "BASIC" listed as "Basic," etc. While it doesn't weigh nearly as high as experience and training, it does say something about professionalism on the part of the candidate.

Rick

I'm in the processing of hiring for a technical position and as I read through the resumes I highlight grammatical or spelling errors. I include in this list "ASCII" listed as "Ascii," "BASIC" listed as "Basic," etc. While it doesn't weigh nearly as high as experience and training, it does say something about professionalism on the part of the candidate.

Rick

Are you hiring someone to code your TRS-80?

Neunelfer said:
Do signs like "bathroom thru the hallway" bother you as much as they do me?

Yeah, I just wince at signs like that.

Rick

You should see some of the resumes we had to look over at the end of the last school year for potential English teachers; appalling. The administration hands us a stack of resumes and asks us to come up with about five or so recommendations. If they had consistent grammatical and spelling errors, they weren't recommended for an interview.

[I know...Not grammar in the language sense, but mathematical grammar]

One of my most memorable and influential teachers in my school years was a Math teacher that was very strict and while I'm sure I disliked her style taking her class, she had lasting effect for the good. I became a better student because of her.

Because of her I often take advantage of misprinted or mislabeled prices that include the decimal and the cents sign. You don't see it too often anymore but I recall a time when gas was $.99 per gallon and there was a gas station in our neighborhood that always put ads out for .99 Cents (sorry couldnt find how to type the 'cents' sign)

I jokingly asked for the manager one time to honor the advertised price and surprisingly he did. I ended up putting in nearly 10 gallons for less than a dime. They changed their signs.

Everyone once in awhile I will see a .99 Cents or .89 Cents item and I like to give them a penny and say, "You can keep the change".

To make the ¢ sign, hold down Alt and type 0162 on the 10 key. When you let go of Alt, it will make the sign.

Back