Attempting to come really close to the Great Divide Claymore strong scotch(wee heavy)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well if you haven't had claymore by Great Divide, go find it I love this beer but can't get my hands on it where I live so here I go.

I already contacted the brewery but they didn't give any info and their website pretty much just describes what the BJCP does so I am just going to do my own thing.

I am looking for the same malt complexity that is in Claymore and based on what I have ready thus far, this is what I am thinking

95 % base mix of marris and 2 row or all 2 row ( I thinking having more marris will help with the malt taste I am looking for as I want this to finish a tad lower than a standard wee heavy)
4.5 % roasted barley
.5% peated malt

either use extract or first runnings to boil down to a fraction of the original amount. I am thinking if I use DME I could start this before I mash in so that it can boil down the entire time while I brew on a extra turkey fryer burner. Then mix in at the end of the boil.

Then use WLP028 yeast Edinburgh

Hops are a after thought

I will be brewing a 5g batch of "Perfect Porter" that I use Edinburgh yeast with as my "starter"

what do you think?

One of my favorite beers from one of my favorite breweries. No one carries it up here in the mountains where I live, so when my wife was going to school in Denver I made her bring me some every time she came to visit me.

I wish I had something useful to add, but unfortunately, despite drinking a lot of these, I don't. Sorry. I don't have the experience to comment on the recipe/process. Keep us updated though. I'd be interested to hear your results.

One of my favorite beers from one of my favorite breweries. No one carries it up here in the mountains where I live, so when my wife was going to school in Denver I made her bring me some every time she came to visit me.

I wish I had something useful to add, but unfortunately, despite drinking a lot of these, I don't. Sorry. I don't have the experience to comment on the recipe/process. Keep us updated though. I'd be interested to hear your results.

Yeah, we are having this style at our next club meeting so I will get an idea what others are like and see what some of the differences are. I can taste a big difference between Claymore and Old Chub and I like Claymore .... more

Roast Barley
Dark Crystal Malt
Chocolate Malt
Golden Promise
Smoke Peat malt

Guessing that will get you pretty close. I have been trying to clone Innis and Gunn and from what I have been reading about Strong Scotch Ales or Wee Heavies is that the go to base grain is usually Golden Promise for the sweetness. And they use Crystal Malt for the caramel flavor and color. But Claymore is DARK which is why I said UK Dark Crystal.

You also will probably want to take a gallon of your first runnings and reduce it down to about a quart and add that back to your boil. Again i have been reading a lot about Scotch Ales and that is a very traditional way to get the taste and color you are looking for.

I have had Old Chub but I haven't had the pleasure of trying Claymore yet.

Roast Barley
Dark Crystal Malt
Chocolate Malt
Golden Promise
Smoke Peat malt

Guessing that will get you pretty close. I have been trying to clone Innis and Gunn and from what I have been reading about Strong Scotch Ales or Wee Heavies is that the go to base grain is usually Golden Promise for the sweetness. And they use Crystal Malt for the caramel flavor and color. But Claymore is DARK which is why I said UK Dark Crystal.

You also will probably want to take a gallon of your first runnings and reduce it down to about a quart and add that back to your boil. Again i have been reading a lot about Scotch Ales and that is a very traditional way to get the taste and color you are looking for.

I have had Old Chub but I haven't had the pleasure of trying Claymore yet.

Thanks, I found that link too, I think that is just another play on the word as that is a way bigger beer than Great Divides. Theirs is 7.7 ABV.

I am definitely doing a boil down, just not sure how I will acquire the wort. My latest though is to do a separate mash of 100% golden promise to yield about 2-3Gs and get that started before the rest of the brew so I can start it boiling while I start the rest of the batch on a separate burner.

With that said, now I just need a grain bill. If I do add other grains besides golden promise it will be in very little quantities.

bump, I'm planning on brewing this this week and plan on doing a seperate boil for the super concentrated stuff but wondered if anyone else had ideas?

Back