Attempt at a Founders Breakfast Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmart0104

Reaction score
So here is what I have for a recipe that I am going to try.
let me know what you think and also have a couple questions.

7lbs amber dry malt extract
1lb flaked oats
1lb chocolate malt
.75lb roasted barley
.38 lb black patent malt
.38 lb dark crystal

hops

1oz nugget 13%aa 60 min boil
.5oz willamette 5% aa 30 min boil
.25oz willamette 5%aa 5 min boil

Goin with 3ozof sumatra coffee using french press will make about 3.5 to 4 cups of coffee.
Going to add 3oz of coca

Going to put the 3.5 to 4 cups of coffee in seperate pan and mix in the 3oz of cocoa and add to flame out.

When I rack to the secondary i'm going to taste and add if needed. I'd rather have a little stronger taste of chocolate and I know it will mellow out affter letting it sit for while.

I would also like to add some lactose for mouth feel but not sure how much or when to add or if i have to take anything out.
Thanks everyone

Where are the questions? DoubleDach has a really good clone that you could easily convert to extract. It's a great recipe. Pretty darn close.

Sorry the question was about the lactose.

When to add, how much do you think i should add and do i need to remove anything if i do add it.

This is the recipie I am going to go with unless i need to tweek something.

I stopped by the lhbs to pick up the supplies and while talking to them I decided to skip the lactose and go with malto-dextrin.

Well brewed this up yesterday. Used a 5 gal igloo cooler to do a partial mash. Had a tough time getting the mash temp up to and to stay at 154 it stayed more around 150.
Will this be an issue?

Added 3.5 oz of malto dextrin
4.5 oz of cocoa powder
2.75 oz of sumatra coffee

my OG was a little high at 1.088

Never used the malto dextrin but told the LHBS that I wanted more boddy so I opted to go with that instead of the laxtose.

Your beer will just end up a little more dry than you shot for. My breakfast stout clone started at 1.088 as well. It's great.

Back