Attaching drip tray on chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
I was wondering how people have attached their drip trays a chest freezer kegerator. I certaintly don't want to drill into the side of it, is there an adhesive that works well?

Rare earth magnets i think are the best, alittle more expensive, but the ability to move your tray and clean it is nice...

I'm torn on this. I have a basic flat drip tray on the way and plan to mount it using small decorative shelving supports. Rare earth magnets are probably strong enough to hold the whole thing to the chest, but they are expensive and you have to order online. A tube of 5 minute epoxy is only $2 at Lowes and it would absolutely hold it all to the chest but it's permanent. You can remove the grating and put that in the dish washer, but the tray itself will have to be cleaned in place. If you ever turn it back into a chest freezer, you might have to get out the grinder.

I like the idea of rare earth magnets, since they're removable. I think a 2" magnet can hold 20 lbs. or more.

I cheated. Since that part of the brewery is carpeted, I put a washing machine tray under the kegger. It's big enough that it catches the drips.

If I was trying to attach a tray, I'd probably epoxy some strong magnets to the back of the tray or get one tall enough to attach to the collar.

Yeah, I think even regular 3M double sided tape along the entire back of the shelf bracket would hold well and still be removable if ever....

The epoxy seems so forever.

I have a spackling (mud) tray for my drip tray.
I built a shelf/bracket out of 1x4 to hold the tray. On the back of the holder, I routed space for several magnets that are about the size of dominoes 1/4" thick and roughly 1x2

Ok, I did it. First, I got the 19" try from Barproducts.com for $15 plus shipping.

I went and got some 4" corner brackets from Lowes and a package of two-part epoxy and some small velcro squares.

After marking right where the brackets would touch the chest, I sanded the paint to rough it up a bit, mixed a small amount of epoxy, and applied it to the brackets. After sticking them to the chest, I used some electrical tape to keep them from sliding out of place for the 6 minute cure.

Then I applied the velcro squares to the top of the brackets and stuck the tray down. It holds strong and I can still remove the tray for cleaning. Done and done.

Now I just need the fifth faucet.

driptray.jpg

Bobby_M said:
Ok, I did it. First, I got the 19" try from Barproducts.com for $15 plus shipping.

I went and got some 4" corner brackets from Lowes and a package of two-part epoxy and some small velcro squares.

After marking right where the brackets would touch the chest, I sanded the paint to rough it up a bit, mixed a small amount of epoxy, and applied it to the brackets. After sticking them to the chest, I used some electrical tape to keep them from sliding out of place for the 6 minute cure.

Then I applied the velcro squares to the top of the brackets and stuck the tray down. It holds strong and I can still remove the tray for cleaning. Done and done.

Now I just need the fifth faucet.

driptray.jpg

That looks great Bobby:rockin:

Similar to BobbyM's. Since I painted my freezer black, I did the same with the brackets. I had some liquid nails on hand that I used as the adhesive. On my first attempt after about 8 hours I attempted to put the drip tray on and ended up moving the brackets. Reapplied the liquid nails and waited the 24hours recommended. Everything is staying put right now. Slightly worried I got too strong of velcro, but time will tell. Enjoy.

KegDriptray01.jpg

KegDriptray03.jpg

KegDriptray04.jpg

Back