Attaching a ledger board (Attached Pergola)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVD_X

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

We want to attach a pergola to the side of my house with the other side supported by 4x4's but our house is new construction and the siding is like a soft composite. This means that if I try to attach a ledger board to it, it will be crushed.

Does any one know how I would attach the ledger board? I know that I need to find the studs and drill through for lag bolts but how do I keep the ledger board flat?

Thansk!

Get those bolts on there tight enough and the siding won't be an issue. Especially if it's vinyl siding.

I did exactly what you are planning to do but I didn't have traditional siding to deal with.
(I had a aluminum wrapped beam to connect it to)

I would say just lag it in and as you draw it down cut the siding (I'm assuming it's vinyl) along the ends to keep it from flattening the edge that isn't covered by the ledger.

^+1 to Bobby M's suggestion.
If you cut the sides or bottom you'll get water running in. You could caulk the perimeter, but caulk always fails. You'll probably be re-caulking it 2 times a year.

If it's done right it shouldn't leak. The Z flashing goes up under the siding and then over the ledger. It's a little daunting to cut into siding though so the freestanding thing is just a easier way into the project.

You could also put a stack of galvanized washers on each lag bolt between the ledger and the siding to create a gap 3/8" to 1/2". This will allow water to drain, and does not require pulling up siding to work in the z flashing. It also allows you to take the thing down one day and simply caulk the holes.

I've used this detail in extremely wet climates and it works.

Back