Attaching 5/16" line to 1/4" connections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjm1188

Reaction score
Is it possible with a tight hose clamp?

I realized that my new kegerator and co2 regulator came with 5/16" hose and regulator fittings. It forms a loose connection on my 1/4" quick disconnect. Holding it in place, I was able to pressurize the keg - but as soon as i removed my fingers from the hose it started leaking. If i buy a hose clamp, will that hold the tubing in place?

If not, is the best solution to replace the regulator shut off valve to 1/4" inch and switch to 1/4" gas line?

I guess i shouldn't buy things built for commercial kegs!!

Is this 5/16" INNER DIAMETER tubing? If so, no -- don't use it. Not only is it going to be prone to leaking, you are going to need a huge coil of tubing that thick if you want to prevent foaming.

Most people use 3/16" ID tubing (often with 5/16" outer diameter, although I prefer much thicker stuff). That tubing fits very tightly over the 1/4" barb fittings, so much so that you often have to heat the tubing in boiling water before slipping it over the barb.

FlyGuy said:
Is this 5/16" INNER DIAMETER tubing? If so, no -- don't use it. Not only is it going to be prone to leaking, you are going to need a huge coil of tubing that thick if you want to prevent foaming.

Most people use 3/16" ID tubing (often with 5/16" outer diameter, although I prefer much thicker stuff). That tubing fits very tightly over the 1/4" barb fittings, so much so that you often have to heat the tubing in boiling water before slipping it over the barb.

He's talking about the gas line. Size doesn't matter... :p at least in regards to foaming.

jfrizzell said:
He's talking about the gas line. Size doesn't matter... :p at least in regards to foaming.
Ah, my bad. Gotta learn to read a little more closely. :cross:

I would still be leary of 5/16 line for gas, though.

Latest posts

Back