Atrocious Odor From Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian blonde roughly 3 weeks ago. Normal brew day, pitched WLP530 (Abbey Ale) from a starter. Ferment started after about 12 hours at 64*F and began to notice a suplhery smell. No big deal, thought nothing of it really. After a week or so activity slowed so I upped the temp to 68*F. Nothing really happened after upping the temp right away. Then about 2 weeks in, 1 week after upping the temp to 68 I got a very active fermentation again, to the point where I thought I would need a blowoff tube. I pulled a sample at week 2, the belgian went from 1.062 to 1.012 and the sample smelled and tasted "okay" but it's always so hard to tell right out of the fermenter uncarbbed and green.

Throughout the whole ferment the smell has been getting increasing worse. Started as the sulphur smell and has grown to just a horrid trash can/spoiled food type smell and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Do I RDWHAHB? Should I rack to secondary? Crash it down? Has anyone had this and had a drinkable beer?

This is normal. Leave the beer alone. Want proof? search for "Rhino fart" . RDWHAHB. :mug:

I recently did a Belgian blonde with that exact yeast strain, and all I ever got (scent wise) was a nice, sweet, bready smell.

However, sulphur smells are very common in fermentations. Relax.

The Wit I made recently smelled like someone took a crap in the primary bucket, but the beer turned out great. Some yeast strains just give off really foul byproducts.

The Wit I made recently smelled like someone took a crap in the primary bucket, but the beer turned out great. Some yeast strains just give off really foul byproducts.

Ha, yeah. I'm getting some of the crap in a bucket smell also. My wife gagged when I asked her to smell it and tell me if something went wrong.

If you can smell 'em, it means those aromas are leaving your beer. This is good.

Back