Atlantic Brew Supply/Raleigh Brewing Company Raleigh NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chromados

Reaction score
Just moved back to North Carolina from Colorado and was looking for a new homebrew shop to get my brewing supplies and kegging stuff from. I was happy to find Atlantic brew shop right off of Hillsborough st near NCSU.

They have huge building with an awesome selection of grains, pellet hops and yeast. They also have almost any fitting you would need for brewing. The staff was knowledgeable and friendly. I would highly recommend going there if you are in the area and having a beer while you get your grain bill together is never a bad thing.

I was extremely happy with my experience here and will continue to get everything I need for brew days from Atlantic.

Chromados

Cannot say enough good things about this place. Seriously. I've stopped all online and purchases at other brew stores. It does help that it's a mile from my work office. :)

If you have a recipe you want do you have to buy to the nearest pound or can they fill an exact recipe?

Threadsurrection!

I was just at this store yesterday, and liked it a lot. I had never been before, and told the clerk I needed some grain, crushed. He showed me where to get the grain, and how to operate the mill, as it is DIY there. Their mill is FAR superior to the one at my LHBS close by (ABS is about 20 minutes from me, my LHBS is less than 5) and they have a larger selection of grains & hops. Add on that they are the sister store to Raleigh Brewing and share an entrance, and they have secured future business from me.

Oh, @Hello - I mentioned that I knew (from online) a woman that collaborated with RBC on a beer just last year, and the clerk blurted out your name. Nice guy, had nothing bad to say about you, I just thought it was funny that he didn't miss a beat in knowing who you were.

Overall, an A+ experience! Nice store, good prices, great staff, and next time I'll be going "next door" to do some tasting!

Threadsurrection!

I was just at this store yesterday, and liked it a lot. I had never been before, and told the clerk I needed some grain, crushed. He showed me where to get the grain, and how to operate the mill, as it is DIY there. Their mill is FAR superior to the one at my LHBS close by (ABS is about 20 minutes from me, my LHBS is less than 5) and they have a larger selection of grains & hops. Add on that they are the sister store to Raleigh Brewing and share an entrance, and they have secured future business from me.

Oh, @Hello - I mentioned that I knew (from online) a woman that collaborated with RBC on a beer just last year, and the clerk blurted out your name. Nice guy, had nothing bad to say about you, I just thought it was funny that he didn't miss a beat in knowing who you were.

Overall, an A+ experience! Nice store, good prices, great staff, and next time I'll be going "next door" to do some tasting!
haha was it Tony?
I can't help that I am so likable. :D

I didn't get any names, unfortunately. He was over 6' tall but not too much, dark-ish blond hair, slightly curly?

Anyway, I'll be going back. My local is way more convenient, but I will be going back.

Say, can one get a beer at Raleigh Brewing then walk into the ABS with it to shop???

:D

I didn't get any names, unfortunately. He was over 6' tall but not too much, dark-ish blond hair, slightly curly?

Anyway, I'll be going back. My local is way more convenient, but I will be going back.

Say, can one get a beer at Raleigh Brewing then walk into the ABS with it to shop???

:D

I know this is kinda late, but to answer your questions:

That was Kalen. He's a cool dude. He's over in the warehouse now because he's tall enough to reach the top shelf without needing a ladder.

And yes, you can absolutely grab a beer and hang out in the store! We don't allow animals or smoking, but kids and service dogs are welcome.... unless they smoke.

EDIT: Or maybe that was Tony. I dunno what I've done or haven't done, anymore.

I know this is kinda late, but to answer your questions:

That was Kalen. He's a cool dude. He's over in the warehouse now because he's tall enough to reach the top shelf without needing a ladder.

And yes, you can absolutely grab a beer and hang out in the store! We don't allow animals or smoking, but kids and service dogs are welcome.... unless they smoke.

EDIT: Or maybe that was Tony. I dunno what I've done or haven't done, anymore.

Sounds like Tony to me. Kalen has dark hair, no mistaken...even under the light on a sunny day. :D Tony is all right though...just all right. :p

Wanted to put in a good word for this place, I just ordered a couple of all-grain batches. They shipped it out within 24 hours and I got it two days later. I know a lot of places are struggling with on line orders and shipping right now so I thought this was really fast.

You can get grains down to the once, so it's easy to put together individual recipes. They will double crush for us BIABers. And they have some interesting malt from a local craft maltster, Epiphany.

And they have a sale where you can save $10,000. You can get a million dollar gift certificate for only $990,000. Hurry before they run out!

Wanted to put in a good word for this place, I just ordered a couple of all-grain batches. They shipped it out within 24 hours and I got it two days later. I know a lot of places are struggling with on line orders and shipping right now so I thought this was really fast.
I just placed an order with them yesterday on reading how fast they shipped yours. It was late in the day and I'm hoping maybe it will ship Monday.

Uh oh ... the pressure's on. Hope they come through for you.

Uh oh ... the pressure's on. Hope they come through for you.
They did.
I got an email saying one of the items I ordered was out asking if I wanted a substitution. I said yes and got another email a little while later saying the order was done that gave me a ups tracking number.

They did.
I got an email saying one of the items I ordered was out asking if I wanted a substitution. I said yes and got another email a little while later saying the order was done that gave me a ups tracking number.
Not so sure now. All I get when I try to track this shipment is "Ready for ups pickup" .

And they have a sale where you can save $10,000. You can get a million dollar gift certificate for only $990,000. Hurry before they run out!

I’ve been looking at that gift certificate... do you think they’ll take a check?;)

Seriously though, I like them and bought from them often before the current situation. They treated me very well when I had a problem with an order one time too.

Not so sure now. All I get when I try to track this shipment is "Ready for ups pickup" .
It looks like the order was picked and a ups label printed on monday, but ups didn't pick it up until this morning. So, kudos to Atlantic for picking the order quickly, but not to ups for letting it set for three days. Alleged delivery date is the 28th.

Got this shortly after noon. Everything is there and well packed. I'll be brewing probably
IMG_20200428_142352.jpg
Thu or Fri.

I placed a big order on Saturday (4-25) and it was packaged and shipped late Monday (4-27). They did a great job getting it out the door except now on the UPS website the tracking number has an alert that says “Your package has been delayed due to events beyond our control”

Yeah, the shipping business is having all sorts of problems right now for obvious reasons. I ordered a gift card that left the FedEx facility 6 days ago 150 miles away and is still "on the way" ... by stagecoach apparently.

I'm a noob brewer and have placed a couple orders from them in the past few weeks. Overall I've been impressed. I've never been their store since my brewing experience has all been post covid, but my online experience has been pretty good. The only minor disappointment I have is that I had a problem/question with one of their recipe kits. They aren't answering their phone (which is pretty typical these days), so I wrote a detailed email and included pics to ask for their recommendations. They never responded.

I'm a bit disappointed, as I would have expected my local brew shop to interact a bit with their customers. In normal times I would have likely gone in and been able to speak to someone in person. Being limited to email, I tried my best to communicate, but oh well.

I'm a noob brewer and have placed a couple orders from them in the past few weeks. Overall I've been impressed. I've never been their store since my brewing experience has all been post covid, but my online experience has been pretty good. The only minor disappointment I have is that I had a problem/question with one of their recipe kits. They aren't answering their phone (which is pretty typical these days), so I wrote a detailed email and included pics to ask for their recommendations. They never responded.

I'm a bit disappointed, as I would have expected my local brew shop to interact a bit with their customers. In normal times I would have likely gone in and been able to speak to someone in person. Being limited to email, I tried my best to communicate, but oh well.

Patience is a virture, especially at times like this. Increasingly I've been staying away from Northern Brewer's and others who are "in transition" corporately. My decision to strictly observe social distancing has kept me out of local and semi-local LHBS, so mail order has been the only source for supplies. But even More Beer (my favorite online store) has been swamped. I usually get merch from them in about two days, but lately it's taken a week to 10 days just to get my order 'picked', and 2-3 days for FedEx to ship the 115 miles from Pittsburgh to my house in Maryland. We've gotten spoiled.

Conversely, Ss Brewtech shipped a recent equipment order cross country in 5 days from my initial online purchase. When it arrived with one wrong butterfly valve, they responded within an hour to my email, informing me that the replacement had just been sent. The new valve was on my doorstep two days later. Austin Homebrew filled a grain and yeast order in 8 days (over a weekend). And Atlantic had my order in only 3 days, though I'm about 300 miles from Raleigh.

My takeaway is that businesses and shipping companies are in uncharted territory just like the rest of us, even the most responsive and reliable vendors. Heck, I'm still waiting on a follow-up reply from Jaybird on a special order stainless steel fitting I asked about more than a week ago. Getting all worked up and indignant won't make things magically appear any sooner.

Overall, it's my opinion that these vendors are doing a remarkable job under trying circumstances. Some will take more time than in the past. We'll just have to adjust expectations to match the current realities, and be pleasantly surprised when those expectations are exceeded.

Brooo Brother

I want to throw my endorsement to Atlantic Brew Supply. I ordered from them for the first time on Friday, and I received my stuff on Wednesday. So much faster (and cheaper) than Northern Brewer or More Beer! ABS will be my go-to from here on!

I've been shopping at ABS for several years now and can't say a single negative thing about them. The shop is amazing, the staff are knowledge and friendly, and the service is excellent both mail order and in store. I live a few hours away, so most of my business with them is mail order, though I always try to stop in if I'm in Raleigh. Shipping has always been prompt and all my ingredients well packed. I also love their grain selection particularly the Epiphany Craft Malt grains. I've used the foundation base malt, modern pilsner, Munich, and just got their Vienna in a recipe I'm being this weekend. Every beer I've made with the Epiphany grains has been delicious and has had very rich and unique malt flavor that I think sets these grains alarm from other malt houses. I highly recommend giving them a try in your next brew.
🍻

I know I tooted Atlantic Brew Supply up on another thread somewhere a few months back, but I continue to remain a loyal fan. Just wished I lived closer so I could attend their classes/sessions (when they are resumed obviously...haha).

Thanks for the heads-up Coastal. I will definitely check it out. ABS seems like one of those local joints you buy from online, but really wished was right down the street. Probably wouldn't go over that well with my wife if it was that close though...haha.

I try to throw business their way when I can. It's like a tie between my LBHS that I want to support and ABS that I want to support...haha.

I ordered 2 all grain recipe lots from ABS and was really happy to find that the price actually went down after I picked my options. Most other online shops start at a base price and go up from there. ABS starts with all the common components and goes down as you remove what you don't need. Got 2 kits for a great price. Flat rate shipping and quick delivery.

Back