Atlanta breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scraggybeard

Reaction score
I'm heading to Atlanta for the weekend and had a question on their breweries. If I understand correctly, they technically cannot sell beer at the brewery so they sell glasses for tastings? I was looking at Red Brick's website and they have brewery hours and tours, would I need to go at the time of one of the tours to be able to get tastings or do they offer tastings any time during the brewery hours?

On a separate but similar note, anyone have recommendations for breweries or beer bars there? I've read in previous posts about Red Brick, Monday Night, Sweetwater, Wrecking Bar, and Porter; does that make for a decent list or are there others to add? Also, given the restrictions at breweries would people recommend just going to beer bars?

Thanks.

You need to go during the hours that they offer the tours. That's when they are serving. Along with the breweries you should not miss the Wreckng Bar Brewpub.

Burnt Hickory is in the northern suburbs, but very much worth a visit

Where in the ATL are you going to be staying, and what kind of transportation will you have?

While technically in Athens, Creature Comforts is having their 2nd Anniversary this wkend. You should try to attend. Could hit Terrapin while in Athens.

In ATL, Burnt Hickory, Monday Night Brewing, & Orpheus Brewing would be nice spots.

Porter is a GREAT beer bar

Yeah - where you're staying will dictate a lot... If any where near downtown, I'd recommend the Wrecking Bar brewpub and also our newest brewpub Torched Hop... Haven't tried it yet, but it's getting good reviews and the place looks awesome.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm staying downtown at the Residence Inn, so Athens may be a bit of a haul. I'll also be relying on Uber, taxis, and mass transit so will likely stick relatively close to downtown. Looks like Wrecking Bar and Porter are right next to each other and Torched Hop is pretty close to downtown. Thoughts on a tasting at Sweetwater?

Eventide, Three Taverns, Orpheus for breweries. Max Lagers, The Brick Store for beer bars that haven't been mentioned above. +++1 on 5 Seasons & the Wrecking Bar.

The Porter and Wrecking Bar are both great, you'll get a good meal at either place.

I'd try to get to Wild Heaven Brewery in Decatur which is near downtown. It's one MARTA stop down from downtown Decatur which has the Brickstore Pub, another great beer bar. Three Taverns brewery is in the area too.

Don't miss the Porter for sure, and I'll add a +1 for Wrecking Bar as well. Throw in Three Taverns and Wild Heaven and you'll be in great shape since all are easily accessible from downtown ATL.

Orpheus is also easy to get to and has some unique stuff.

Hey guys, wanted to bump this thread.....I'm visiting Atlanta this weekend, going to be staying in Roswell, and wanted to get a couple recommendations for breweries in that area. Also thinking about taking a trip to Creature Comforts. All rec's welcome!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm staying downtown at the Residence Inn, so Athens may be a bit of a haul. I'll also be relying on Uber, taxis, and mass transit so will likely stick relatively close to downtown. Looks like Wrecking Bar and Porter are right next to each other and Torched Hop is pretty close to downtown. Thoughts on a tasting at Sweetwater?

Wrecking Bar and Porter are both great choices for just buying beers. I would also throw Gate City Brewing into the mix. It's in Roswell, and I just tried it for the first time this past weekend and they didn't have a bad beer on tap. You might also try a Taco Mac, they have a ton of beers on tap (~100+) plus decent food in a Buffalo Wild Wings style environment.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of Orpheus, but they have a few good beers. Sweetwater beers are not bad, but they are definitely bordering on the macro-brewery level of production. You can find their beers in most grocery stores. IMO, the smaller guys are where it's at.

The way the "tastings" work: you aren't buying beer, you are buying a glass and a tour which comes with 36 oz of beer for free. They usually give you 6 tickets and each one is worth 6oz of beer of your choice. So you usually have to drink a minimum amount of beer, but hey, it works.

Hey guys, wanted to bump this thread.....I'm visiting Atlanta this weekend, going to be staying in Roswell, and wanted to get a couple recommendations for breweries in that area. Also thinking about taking a trip to Creature Comforts. All rec's welcome!

Gate City and Abbey of the Holy Goats are both in Roswell. GC's brews out of the gate were a bit non-descript, but I've since heard that they've improved substantially. AHG makes some solid beer though.

GC's brews out of the gate were a bit non-descript, but I've since heard that they've improved substantially.

I can certainly see why people would say that. I enjoyed all of their beers, and they were all well done, but none of them were incredibly memorable or mind blowing. They make solid, well executed beers in your standard range of styles: double IPA's (3 of them), dunkel, porter, cream ale, pale ale

Back