At what temperature does bottled beer go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syd138

Reaction score
I know that your primary should be at about 70 degrees..

but Im worried about my unairconditioned apartment this summer.. sometimes it'll get up to 90 in here.

Im not going to brew at that time.. but what is the risk of the 10+ cases of stuff Ive brewed going bad?

Wow that's hot! I'm not used to temperatures like that on more than 1 or 2 days a year. I'm not familiar with temperatures that vary as much as yours but I would be looking for somewhere to store my beer, either a friend's basement or a dedicated beer fridge. Having bottles go from 70* up to 90* and anywhere in between at night couldn't be good for them.

Having said that, I'm not speaking from experience here but during the summer I don't brew in my apartment (gets as hot as 80* on some days), nor do I store any beer here other than whatever is in my fridge. Thank god I have a mini fridge that I can fit 60-ish bottles in. I do all my brewing in my girlfriend's basement where it stays 70-72* all year long.

It won't go bad per se, but it certainly might not taste it's best with those kind of temperature swings.

I only have to worry about temps like that for a couple weeks a year, but I did pick up a small window A/C for my brewing room so I can keep it below 70...

Well, I live in Chicago.. its not like it gets that bad that much.. but guaranteed there will be some days where its close to 90 in my place. Maybe I can just take my favorite beers and put them in the fridge or something.

My apt has gotten that high during spring weather shifts, when I've been away and could do nothing about it....And my beer has been fine.

The only harm that will most likely happen to your beer is that shelf life will be decreased. But like worries about over oxygenation, most of us consume our beer way before things like that actually develop

Back